How to best extend Wireless Mighty Mouse battery life

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drfp25, Aug 19, 2008.

1. drfp25 macrumors member

I have had my iMac since June and changed the batteries last month. Now I am getting another message saying the battery life is low in my mouse. I replaced the original batteries with two basic Energizer batteries (I have not had a chance to get rechargeable batteries for future use). I am a fairly heavy computer user 4-6 hours per day.

Is this relatively normal battery life and is there any thing I can do to extend the battery life? Should I close the laser door on the bottom of the mouse when I go to sleep/am not using my computer?

2. melissarae macrumors regular

melissarae

I'd like to know this too as I'm considering buying a wireless mouse....

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Don't double click. Single clicking saves 50% battery life ;)

Turning it off would probably help from the slow trickle. I use my Mighty Mouse about an hour or so daily and I don't even remember the last time I had to change the batteries.

4. macdot macrumors 6502

5. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Mine goes quite a number of months between replacement batteries. DON'T USE NiMH rechargables. Use Duracell or Energizer or Ray-O-Vac quality Alkalines only. Also, don't use Lithiums. The NiMH & Lithiums work at a lower voltage than the Alkalines (1.2v vs 1.5v), and will drain faster. And the bottom of the MM says "3VDC", not "2.4"...

Also, make sure that nothing is sitting on the mouse that might keep the button "clicked".

Most drug stores, hardware stores, department stores, etc. will sell you about 20 AA alkaline cells for about $15.

Lastly, if you tend to fidget with the mouse in your hand, that will use up the batteries in the unit faster, as it continues to send information.

:apple::apple:

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Buy a 4 set of 2800mah rechargable batteries (and a charger obviously)

I find that gets about 1-2 months battery life (I use my mac for around 5 hours a day)

7. jrtallen macrumors newbie

I do not believe this to be accurate information. AA batteries are 1.5 V.

People pay a premium for Lithium batteries because of their significantly longer life.

My understanding is that Apple SHIPS this mouse with more the expensive Lithium batteries. One can assume that is done for a reason.

8. smogsy macrumors 6502a

i use enegrzier 2800MaH recharables that lastest 6 months with me using it between 8-12 hours a day

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

ALL ALKALINE batteries are 1.5V. Lithiums hold more charge, but the output is the same. It's similar to a car with a bigger gas tank and the same liter engine. Also, lithium and NiMH both don't work at a lower voltage, the output is the SAME, just more charge per battery than a regular alkaline. Lithiums don't drain faster... you just claimed it uses a lower voltage! Please make sure your information is accurate and does not contradict.

to the OP, just turn off the mouse when you're away from the computer.. and try not the keep ur hand on it when you're reading an article or doing something on the computer that doesnt involve the mouse. in short, minimize the amount of time ur hand is on the mouse.