How to best fix this cable

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maddin4j, Jan 1, 2010.

1. maddin4j macrumors member

[​IMG]

Hey guys. This is the headphone cable of my Bose Headphones which were ~300£. After two months, this is what happened.

I don't use these headphones everyday. I think this happened because I use them with my iPhone and so I place it in my pocket wrongly or something and then that part loosened up. I don't want to risk anything and I don't think that this is covered under the warranty. So how do I best fix/overcome this?
    Should I just use tape? Btw, the same thing happened to my iPhone USB cable…

EDIT: How do I make the picture smaller ?

2. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

We need to know: are you up to cutting off the old plug, ascertaining which of the three coloured cores in the cable is which (ring, tip or sleeve), then soldering a new 3.5mm minijack plug on?

If so, I suggest the best right angled minijack plug comes from Neutrik - not cheap, but metal, precision made, and likely to last a long time.

If the idea of electronics repair terrifies you, best to find someone who is OK with it to do it for you, as an official repair will cost a fortune.
    ------
    BTW: change the tags around your image to [ TIMG ] and [ /TIMG ] (without the spaces), I believe.

3. maddin4j thread starter macrumors member

No I dont want to cut it off. I just want to make it more "stable" if oyu know what I mean. For example by using tape ^^ but I'm not sure if theres a better method

4. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

I would consider taking them back to the shop from where you purchased them! and if they have not been pulled in any way and this is general wear and tear you can push the fact that they are not of merchantable quality and not designed for the purpose of use i.e. you would expect the cable to have some level of tugging and pulling during normal use!

For goods costing more than £100 but less than £30,000, you get more protection if you use your credit card. If something goes wrong, under Section 75 of the UK's Consumer Credit Act 1974, the credit card company is jointly liable. But you may have to insist on this right. Some companies may try to argue that they're not liable or that this law does not apply to goods bought outside the UK.

Usually the company will back down and replace or send the item for a free of charge repair once you point out any of the above!

Hope this helps :)

5. maddin4j thread starter macrumors member

thanks. but the thing is…I got those headphones from ebay :S They were totally knew when I bought them so there were not used by anyone else before. And this headphone model is quite new. Do you think I will still be able to ask for a replacement?

6. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

No, consumer rights in the Euro standards don't cover auctioned goods.

7. maddin4j thread starter macrumors member

well okay. so then we are back at the beginning. how do I best "fix" this thing ^^?

8. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

You could try contacting Bose direct and tell them you were bought them as a present and appeal to their better nature! As you are aware Bose are a global concern and it wouldn't hurt them to replace them for you or at least repair them! then you know it has been done properly ! it's worth a phone call :)

Alternatively if you have them repaired, most Audio Visual outlets carry out in house repairs and shouldn't cost you more than £25!

Do the head phones still work or are any cables broken? if not and the cable will push back into the connector you could try putting some super glue around the hole and pushing the cable back in! try not to use to much then it wont look to unsightly when the glue gets forced out! :)

9. maddin4j thread starter macrumors member

great idea @macinhand! yeah i will tell them that it was a gift. really good idea. thanks!

if that doesnt work then I will look for a place to fix them. but I dont really feel like spending any money on those already very expensive headphones.

the headphones still work perfectly fine. it just doesnt look very good and im afraid that it might get worse.

i will give them a call next week and let you guys know what happened :)

but i would still want to know. what is/are the best DIY method(s)?

I just thought that I might tape that part to hold those two parts together. Super glue was just mentioned here as well but i am not sure if thats strong enough..?

10. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

For a self repair super glue would be the best option! tape would not hold! :D

11. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Use super glue, once fully dried out, use tape over that to protect the glue's seal.

12. boast macrumors 65816

boast

super glue it. and then see if you can put a heat shrink tubing over it.

13. maddin4j thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the tips everyone! super glue + heat shrink tube sounds like a good way to fix this thing.

alright i'll let you know what happened once I called Bose.

thanks again everyone :)

14. maddin4j thread starter macrumors member

i know it has been a while but i just wanted o=to let you guys know that Bose send me back and brand new cable! thanks for everyone for helping me.

a big thanks goes to macinhand for suggesting me to contact Bose! :D