How to best manage internal storage on 256gb 2018 MBP?

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
Hello folks!

I just got a 2018 MacBook Pro model with 256gb storage. I didn't realise how little that was until I went to transfer my old files across, especially seeing as I had a folder with 150gb of videos in it.

So, for the people with the 256gb model, how are you managing your storage? I don't intend to keep an external HDD attached all the time so any advice is appreciated.

Hopefully some kind of small attachment drive will come out I can plug into the Thunderbolt ports at the side of the machine.

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
The only thing you really can do is offload things which take up a lot of storage space, either to external drives, or to iCloud, dropbox etc. Media like videos and photos take up a lot of space, so I guess you could try only keeping a select few you want to see/ need to use actually on the computer, and have the rest backed up across a couple of drives. It's annoying they've ditched the SD card slot, as loading more onto there would be a quick and easy way of accessing them when you wanted them without having to take a whole drive with you (and risk losing everything by dropping it if its mechanical!). There are relatively small USB C thumb drives available as an alternative, but I think they're quite pricey for significant quantities of storage (And I'm always somewhat warier of them as I've had a coupe fail on me whereas I've yet to see an SD fail)

Reactions: bingefeller

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
The only thing you really can do is offload things which take up a lot of storage space, either to external drives, or to iCloud, dropbox etc. Media like videos and photos take up a lot of space, so I guess you could try only keeping a select few you want to see/ need to use actually on the computer, and have the rest backed up across a couple of drives. It's annoying they've ditched the SD card slot, as loading more onto there would be a quick and easy way of accessing them when you wanted them without having to take a whole drive with you (and risk losing everything by dropping it if its mechanical!). There are relatively small USB C thumb drives available as an alternative, but I think they're quite pricey for significant quantities of storage (And I'm always somewhat warier of them as I've had a coupe fail on me whereas I've yet to see an SD fail)
Thanks for replying.

I'm going to look into some cloud storage solutions. Problem is that I want to be able to see the files from my laptop and then decide if I download them. Some of cloud apps begin downloading the files the minute you open the app.

Platocplx

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2018
Thanks for replying.

I'm going to look into some cloud storage solutions. Problem is that I want to be able to see the files from my laptop and then decide if I download them. Some of cloud apps begin downloading the files the minute you open the app.
If icloud runs like Dropbox. I know I can do selective downloads for Dropbox.
You can get 2TB if space for 10 dollars a month on iCloud

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
Thanks folks. I deleted some unneeded apps, such as Garageband, Pages, Keynote and I also deleted my copy of Logic Pro as it was using crazy amounts of storage. I plan to reinstall a more streamlined version of Logic over the weekend.