Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oliverpool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
I been having issues with keeping my photos taken on my iphone organises and backed up.

I have basically been doing this for a while. Every 6 or so months, I do a import and delete after import. Then I move these photos into some folders and catagorise them into assigned photos and unsorted ones into "Photos Jun to Dec2014" etc.

I will use Itunes to sync these folders to my iphone thereafter. Doing it this way means that the folders on my HDD shows up in photos app categorised. I am however facing a few issues.

1. Once the photo numbers reaches 9999, it restarts at 0. I now different photos with the same name "e.g. img_0001 which was somewhere from year 2011 and img_0001 from year 2014." I guess I should have imported them with a prefix to avoid this problem.

2. Backing up of iphones basically backs up all the whole folder which doubles my photo size. I already back up my photos to my NAS. I also backup my photos library to a external HDD once a while to have a off site storage. How do I avoid backing up these folders yet have backups of my recently taken photos which I have not sorted via my method?

Anyone else has a better method then what I have been doing to backup and organise iphone photos?

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
Use iCloud photo library and have your photos backed up almost instantly. You can then sort them whenever is convenient to you and those changes will take place on all your devices.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Well this may not help but I upload pictures to Microsoft one drive every other month and clear them from my device leaving only ones I wish to keep on my phone. I organise them online through the web interface then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.