How to best use Aperture and iPhoto ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FrenchPB, May 23, 2010.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I just purchased my first DSLR camera, a Canon 550D with a 18-55 IS and a 70-200 F4 IS USM. I bought Aperture to manage those pictures, and was wondering what to do with iPhoto.

Currently, I use iPhoto for all my photos, and have a sync with my iPhone.

I would like to know how you guys use Aperture and iPhoto on the same computer.

- should I put everything on Aperture, what would I lose if I do that ?
    - should I keep iPhoto for my casual pictures (taken with my Panasonic FX-55), and Aperture for the photos taken with my DSLR camera ?
    - if I import the iPhoto pics into Aperture, what should I copy them all on Aperture, should I just use the iPhoto database, or should I delete the iPhoto database after I import everything on Aperture ?

I have almost 10.000 pics to import, so I'd rather have only one copy of it all on my iMac (I have a backup on an external hard drive).

Thanks for your advice.

2. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

When I converted to Aperture from iPhoto, I simply imported my library and no longer used iPhoto. Aperture will grab all of your data and put it into its library. Your photos in your iPhoto library will still be there, you'll just use them in Aperture and any metadata from edits will be stored in the Aperture library. Just don't go messing around with the files in either library and you should be fine. Good luck.

3. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

Does that mean you have two copies of your photo library on your computer (one for iPhoto, one for Aperture) ? If you have 100 GB of photos, importing them in Aperture will mean that you'll need twice the size on your drive ?

I guess that if you don't use iPhoto anymore, the iPhoto library can be deleted... I'm a little bit confused here ^^

4. DannyNguyener macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

Good question, I'd like to know the answer to that as well.