How to best use iTunes library???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by carrollf, Oct 27, 2007.

1. carrollf macrumors regular

carrollf

I have 80Gb of music that I ripped from my collection of CDs stores in a folder called Music in the Shared area of the Users folder. There are 2 users of my Mac and each will want the same iTunes library although each has a seperate account.

When iTunes copies all the music into each library it doubles the amount of space needed i.e 80Gb of music becomes 240Gb - is there any way around this? Cant my iTunes library just contain 'pointers' to the originals?

2. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

If you keep that music into a directory that both accounts have access to and uncheck the copy music to itunes directory option that should work just fine.

I would say keep the music on an external drive that both accounts can use.

3. carrollf thread starter macrumors regular

carrollf

Thanks.

So when I open iTunes, what do I click on to map to my shared music folder? All I can see is Import to Library!

4. Rorzabal macrumors newbie

Hold down the Alt/Option key while launching iTunes. It will prompt you to choose the location of your library.

5. seeker777 macrumors member

seeker777

Share one iTunes music library with two or more users

If both users want to access the same library, only one library is needed. You do not have to select libraries with Alt/Option.

Instead, put the music in a shared location and set iTunes in both user accounts to look at the same location.

This can be done in both accounts by iTunes>Preferences>Advanced>General>Change...(iTunes music folder location) and put the location.

Here is a picture showing what this looks like:

I have three user accounts all pointed to the same shared music folder. Works great.

Attached Files: