Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
I just signed up with a VPN provider, never used a VPN in this capacity before so I'm just trying to find my way around...

What I'm trying to work out right now is how I can block all non-VPN traffic so that nothing can slip past if the computer reboots or the VPN server drops out etc. I've seen that there are a couple of apps designed to do just that for Windows, but I haven't found anything for OS X?

Searching turned up a couple of OS X VPN clients (Viscosity & Tunnelblick) but I'm still confused about whether or not they can actually do what I want.

Does anyone here know of a solution to this?

Maybe I will just need to buy a VPN capable router and go that way? Lock it down so the router will only connect to the VPN?

Cheers for any info. :cool:

Griggi

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Wouldn't it be sufficient to create static routes on your OS X machine that point only into the VPN tunnel?

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I just signed up with a VPN provider, never used a VPN in this capacity before so I'm just trying to find my way around...

What I'm trying to work out right now is how I can block all non-VPN traffic so that nothing can slip past if the computer reboots or the VPN server drops out etc. I've seen that there are a couple of apps designed to do just that for Windows, but I haven't found anything for OS X?

Searching turned up a couple of OS X VPN clients (Viscosity & Tunnelblick) but I'm still confused about whether or not they can actually do what I want.

Does anyone here know of a solution to this?

Maybe I will just need to buy a VPN capable router and go that way? Lock it down so the router will only connect to the VPN?

Cheers for any info. :cool:

A VPN appliance can do what your Mac can do already without adding extra cost.

Whether you get a VPN appliance or use your Mac, to forward data through the VPN, you'll need to create static routes for different types of traffic (ie port 80). So why waste money?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.