How to block spam text messages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gaanee, Jun 22, 2012.

1. gaanee macrumors 6502a

As the title says: how to block spam text messages?
    I'm on At&t and they charge for text msg. (including spam). The msg says reply with "STOP", but I'm skeptical about replying to spam.

I know this not directly related to iphone but thought of seeking your wise opinion.

2. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Call customer service, these type of spam are considered "premium services". They can put a block on those messages.

3. iCallum macrumors newbie

4. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

5. gaanee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its not jailbroken.
    I would prefer not to reply to a spam msg. At&t should block spam msg in the first place. Does anyone know if At&t charges for spam msg?

6. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

but wouldn't sending in a reply confirm they sent the text to a real phone, resulting in your getting more spam?

8. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

This worked for me. I was getting 2 a day for two different phone numbers. They stopped the day after I forwarded them. ATT doesn't know about it unless you tell them, they will not charge you for forwarding to 7726.

9. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Forward them to AT&T I don't think there are text message filters. Also call customer service and get "premium messages" or whatever they call it blocked.

10. bender0069 macrumors member

You need to check your bill and then call ATT. Some of these spam text will automatically enroll you into a "program" that will charge your att bill $10 or so a month and replying to stop does not help. Even calling the number on your bill to find out what the charge is for will not help. ATT will remove the charges and put a block on your texts. I think they call it a purchasing block so this can't happen again. Since I've done that I do not get any more spam text. I did it for all lines in my house.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

AT&T has no real way to block spam messages without you notifying them. They will charge you for the spam message, but if you notify them about it (see the trend? ;) ) they will waive the fees for you. The only messages they will not charge you for are the ones they (AT&T) send themselves.

12. PNutts, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It depends on what kind of message it is (true SMS or something else like an e-mail sent to your text e-mail address xxxxxxxxxx@txt.att.net).

Besides AT&T's paid services, you can go (at no charge) to http://mymessages.wireless.att.com and set up your blocking options for e-mail messages sent to your phone's text address. You can block different types of e-mails, create white and black lists, and create an alias.

So... I blocked e-mails to my mobile text address, I created a white list for work, family, etc., blacklisted mblox.com, and created an alias (MyAlias@txt.att.net) in case I want to get something quickly without changing my settings.

True SMS messages that come from a short number can be blocked, but SMS messages that come from an actual 10 digit phone number cannot be blocked without purchasing AT&T's premium services.

The inability to block all texts and phone calls without purchasing premium services is inexcusable. OT: I subscribed to TrapCall for $5 / month to get Blocked phone numbers shown (while I was getting prank calls) and it also allows you to block calls.