Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klspahr

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
I have a 100% fool proof method of blocking ads…

TURN IT OFF!

I am so tired of the constantly increasing number of ads - this includes TV - that I watch less and less. The less you watch the less you’ll miss it. It’s only pablum after all.

You can sit and watch or you can get up and do!

Which are you?

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
It’s only pablum after all.

You get out of YouTube what you choose to put into it. The algorithm can be trained—I get zero of the influencer-fueled nonsense, and only videos related to my hobbies and interests: Travel, history, nature documentaries, household repair, and so on. Once you get it to a point that it becomes a resource rather than just another source of noise, paying for Premium becomes a much better value proposition, and as easy to justify as any streaming service. At this point, YT-P would be the last streaming subscription I would cancel if I had to pare back.

Meanwhile, lots of people seem to like ATV+. I wouldn't even bother pirating Apple's shows, much less paying for them. So, to each their own. And if the OP wants to watch YouTube on the AppleTV minus ads, his choices are a network-wide/DNS-based ad blocker, a VPN that does ad blocking, or YT-P.

LarryJS

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2023
I have a 100% fool proof method of blocking ads…

TURN IT OFF!

I am so tired of the constantly increasing number of ads - this includes TV - that I watch less and less. The less you watch the less you’ll miss it. It’s only pablum after all.

You can sit and watch or you can get up and do!

Which are you?
Agree! I cancelled my premium subscription. The reason being YouTube adverts are stopped but content providers are increasing the number of non-YouTube ads. I understand content providers are trying to generate more income. However, it defeats the purpose of a premium subscription. So why pay for it?

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
Agree! I cancelled my premium subscription. The reason being YouTube adverts are stopped but content providers are increasing the number of non-YouTube ads. I understand content providers are trying to generate more income. However, it defeats the purpose of a premium subscription. So why pay for it?
come one don't you want those sweet deals on surf shark and hello fresh? :)

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I don't mind the sponsorship breaks in content creator videos as much as I mind those unexpectedly LOUD and unskippable commercials that are inserted at totally random intervals. And the commercials are the SAME in all the breaks. The creators ads can be skipped over.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Well some people like adverts i guess.
Adblock seems to still work great on desktop and I can instantly skip the baked-in sponsors if I'd like. iOS browser seems to be working lately but sometimes it's broken for a bit.

It's only a problem for 'Apps' since that gives them full control over how you use their service. A little mini media PC of some kind makes the whole experience so much better than my Apple TV has.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
I would never, in a million years, EVERY pay for Youtube. What a joke.
YouTube was a nice platform at one time. But ever since Google decided to pay money to people who upload videos, which effectively turned a nice platform into a cesspool, now YouTube is filled with all manner of trash.. including videos of anyone who doesn’t mind showing the world how much of an self-centered idiot they can be.

Mr.Ben

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2022
How do you block ads on your Mac?
Similar to @Killbynumbers I also just use my Mac to avoid adverts - especially on YouTube, though I've got my Mac Mini connected direct to my TV via HDMI rather than playing wirelessly. There are numerous options for blocking ads, either desktop apps or browser addons: Adguard, AdblockPlus, AdBlock etc. or some browsers have adblock options built in. I personally use the Brave browser as I've found the blocker pretty effective. Opera has one built in too, but not really tried that. 👍

Reactions: Yammabot

colinw123

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
Just vpn into Albania then your YouTube account will be free of ads.

or purchase premium via Argentina etc.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
YouTube premium for me. Cuts out advertising that interrupts the video you are watching. And if a YouTuber has a promotion in the video I am watching, I just fast forward past it. Most aren't usually too long anyway. And the Premium sub gives you access to YouTube music as well, which is pretty good and has me thinking of cancelling my Apple Music sub. Oh and as far as all the crap one poster says he gets over and beyond his interests, I have a bunch of channels that I subscribe to and just go to them in the Subscriptions category in menu on the left side of the screen. I only see the channels I want to see there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.