How to boost my wifi range?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by a2952281, May 22, 2014.

1. a2952281 macrumors newbie

I create a hotspot with My WIFI Router software in living room, devices there can connect to wireless network well. But it couldn't strong enough for my bedroom.How can I boost my wifi range.I don't want to spend too much on it because on a budget

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

What, exactly, is your current networking setup?

3. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

You need some king of extender device. I was experiencing dead spots and weak signal strength in some corners of the house farthest from my Base Station. I simply set up another AirPort Extreme Base Station in bridge mode. It connects wirelessly to the network and re-broadcasts the signal. I also use the 5 GHz frequency as it generally offers better speed.

You could use an AirPort Express too for a lower-cost option. It's just not as powerful.

4. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

I was experiencing the same problem so a few days ago I set up an Airport Extreme , it's connected to my main base ( Not  ) by Ethernet and then setup Airport Express to relay the signal to the bedroom .
    It was very easy to do .Not cheap as I had to get two devices . Only one device will not relay a non  signal.
    I got both devices refurb . I guess it could be done with two Espresses but I'm not sure about that .

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Personally, I wouldn't have thought the purchase of another router such as the Airport Extreme is the most sensible or economic idea! - bearing in mind you are on a limited budget.

A more logical solution to extending the range of an existing router is to purchase a WiFi Extender. These are widely available at a range of prices from, for example, Amazon. I used to use one to extend the range of my Airport Extreme!

6. ds705 macrumors member

7. macsmurray macrumors member

You could try a Devolo wireless range extender. I used a few in my old house, because of very thick walls, and they did the job.