How to boot from a burned windows cd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ithilir, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Ithilir macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just bought my first apple product ever. It's.. so... beautiful. I've always been a windows user so there are a lot of confusing features I have to learn, but one thing I wanted to try is running dual operating systems.

I don't have my windows installation disks anywhere nearby but I do have the license keys, so I downloaded an OBVIOUSLY COMPLETELY LEGIT* copy from the interwebz.

From what I understood from reading various instructions all I have to do is burn the iso to a dvd and insert it when prompted. I used the pre installed Boot Camp software to create a partition and download some drivers.

I restarted my computer and it didn't boot up from the windows cd, instead it booted from my new (and empty) partition which resulted in a "No bootable device -- insert boot disc and press any key"

How can I choose to boot from the cd?

* It's not

------
    Specs:
    i7 2,7 GHz
    4GB DDR3
    Intel HD 3000 graphics
    13"
    OS X 10.7.1

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You Understood Wrong

The options on the MS site are: Download, and download with Backup DVD.

You chose the former. Can't burn a bootable copy from there. You are going to have to pay the extra $ to get the physical DVD I'm afraid.

3. simsaladimbamba

You hold down the OPTION key right after the startup sound chimes to select all connected and inserted bootable devices/media you want to boot from.
    Have you burnt the DVD correctly - meaning you didn't just burnt the .iso as a file onto the DVD, but used Burn or something similar to make a copy of the .iso file's contents onto the DVD?

----------

One can use this to burn a DVD inside Windows at least: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

4. Ithilir thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, there is a difference? I'm pretty sure I just burned the ISO itself onto a dvd. Should I open the ISO and burn the contents from it? And I figured out how to switch bootable devices from startup, otherwise I would still be stuck with that black screen error unable to boot OS X. It didn't show the dvd at all, just my Mac HD and the new partition.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you just burned the ISO on to the DVD like you were burning a data disk?

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Only As A backup

And for an installation that already exists.

7. Ithilir thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, yes I did.

I'm not used to burning ISO files, in windows I just used Deamon Tools to mount it like a CD :)

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ahh thats what you did incorrectly, should work when you burn the ISO using the proper method

9. Ithilir thread starter macrumors newbie

So: Download Burn -> Open my ISO file in finder -> Copy the contents to the dvd -> Burn?

Just making sure I'm not wasting another dvd

10. simsaladimbamba, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

simsaladimbamba

Do you still have access to Windows and a DVD burner? If so, check the link I provided in my first post.

----------

No, either use the Windows method already hinted at or use Burn.

Here are also some search results on "how to burn iso to DVD in mac os x": http://www.google.com/search?q=burn....,cf.osb&fp=5b3846bb372396b3&biw=1863&bih=847

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

personally i havnt burned an ISO file in years but you usually need some burning software like a Nero or something similar

12. gsxrq macrumors member

download the iso and burn with disk utility in applications/utilities
    this will write the image to disk as it should be and be bootable

not as a data disk with just the iso file on it
    :)