Resolved How to boot from Disk II Drive 2 on an Apple II?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by tevion5, Jul 12, 2014.

1. tevion5, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I am so excited because I just finished fixing my disk ii drive that came with my II plus. I've been using an SD adapter all this time but I can finally run software right off the disk!

To test it I've run a ton if utility software that give me good readings all over. The problem was that it was clogged with 35 years of goo. Everywhere. Once that was gone it works like a charm! I can read and wrote saves in Ultima I.

Only issue I have now, is lack of Apple II knowledge.

I like to have my SD adapter in slot 1 of my Disk II interface. How can I boot from drive 2 if I put in a floppy? By default my II Plus seems to look in drive one and nothing else.

What is the command (if any) to specifically request that it boots from Drive 2?

Thanks.

2. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

You can't. You can only boot from the first drive on the Disk II interface.

3. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Well, with some hardware mod consisting of a SPDT switch you could boot off Drive 2, but it would be known as Drive 1 to the system.

..and if you have an original ROM //c, you can PR#7 to get the external drive to boot, but otherwise .. no. Booting is only from the first device in the respective slot you've chosen.

4. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Thanks for the info, no wonder I couldn't find much about it online.