How to boot from DVD on startup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphonesrq, Apr 2, 2009.

1. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

I have a powerbook 1.5ghz....How do I set to boot from DVD on startup?

thnaks

2. NickM macrumors 6502

I could be wrong about this (I'm pretty new to Macs), but I think I read that if you hold 'C' while booting, it will boot from the CD/DVD drive.

3. iphonesrq thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm that didnt work...i also read to hold the option key, this didnt work either....btw i have leopard if it makes a diff

4. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

You have to hold "option key" for a really long time. Sometimes several minutes.

5. iphonesrq thread starter macrumors 6502

i did this.....but only a little picture of a hard drive comes up??

it also has what looks like a "next" arrow & a "refresh" button... when I hit either it just goes straight to the desktop w/o loading from dvd?

6. NickM macrumors 6502

I used Boot Camp to install XP to a separate partition, and in order to boot to it, I hold the Option key as soon as my screen turns that white/cream color (right after turning computer on) ...then I get the 2 pics of the hard drives (representing the 2 partitions), one labeled Mac OSX and one labeled Microsoft Windows XP. It usually only takes 5-10 seconds of holding the Option key for the boot menu to show.

I just Googled your problem, and found again that you need to hold the 'C' key immediately after turning on the computer.
    The only problem I can think of is that the disc you have in the drive is not bootable.

Check these two links for info that might help:
    http://www.jacsoft.co.nz/Tech_Notes/Mac_Keys.htm

http://kb.iu.edu/data/ages.html