How to boot into the same OS you last used?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ThomasJL, Aug 3, 2010.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

When using Boot Camp, what can I do to make my MacBook boot into the OS I last used?

Here is what I mean: I do not want to set a default OS. If I am using OS X and I do a Restart, I want the MacBook to automatically boot into OS X. If I am using Windows 7 and I do a Restart, I want the MacBook to automatically boot into Windows 7.

The only time I want my computer to boot into a different OS than the last one I used is if I manually choose to switch the OS by holding down the "Option" key at start-up. But after I manually choose an OS at start-up, I want the MacBook to automatically boot into the same OS if I do a Restart.

The problem I have right now is this: I am able to select a default OS, and no matter if I use OS X or Windows 7, it boots into the default OS when I Restart. For example, if Windows 7 is set as the default, even if I am using OS X, if I Restart, it will boot into Windows 7. Or, if OS X is set as the default and I am using Windows 7, when I Restart it will boot into OS X. That is not what I want. This is what I want: When I do a Restart or press the power button after a Shut Down, I want the MacBook to automatically boot into the last OS I used.

How do I do this?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Under OSX you could have a script set the Startup Disk in SysPrefs when you boot up. You could probably do something similar in Windows but how??? I'm not sure.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

This link may help http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2010/01/reboot-into-bootcamp-script-applescript-app.html kainjow's boot champ may also do the trick on the os x side but I'm not sure what to do on Windiws besides set the startup disk in the boot camp control panel before rebooting to os x.

B

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

ThomasJL, that is most odd! The even more unusual thing is that my Mac behaves the way YOU want yours to. That said... here are some troubleshooting tips to try:

1. Uninstall rEFIt
    2. If BootChamp is installed, uncheck the "Next Restart Only" box

5. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

wrldwzrd89, previously, my Mac used to behave exactly like yours. This is what I mean:

I've installed Windows 7 twice on my MacBook. The first time I installed Windows 7, my Mac was behaving exactly like you say your Mac is behaving now. Everything was fine. For reasons totally unrelated to Windows or Boot Camp, I decided to reformat my hard drive to do a fresh install of OS X. After that was done, I installed Windows 7, and now it is behaving differently, i.e., not like the way your Mac is behaving.

I wonder why it is behaving differently?