Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freeks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
I'm trying to get my old iPhone 3G back to use even as a iPod, but it seems impossible.

I made mistake and restored the phone as it has been on my GF's use previously. After the restore phone says NO SIM even that there is a SIM installed. Same that it was used before so no problem with locking. I have opened the phone and cleaned all parts etc but it just don't regonize the sim anymore.

That would be no problem as i could still use it as iPod. BUT the home button is not working. That would be fine too as it can be used with soft homebutton, but it is impossible to boot the phone.

All hacks that i have found requires phone to enter into DFU mode that is impossible without home button. It is also impossible to power down the phone from the NO SIM screen. Only way to shut it down is to wait few weeks to battery to run out.

It is possible to enter to DFU without homebutton IF the phone is booted already.

Long story short: How to boot iPhone3G (with probably iOS4) without SIM and homebutton?
All help appreciated!

luisadastwin

macrumors regular
Sorry, it seems that your only solution is trying to change home button.

Try to see if, when opening the iPhone, the two pins that come out from the home button are touching properly the dock assembly bellow... Sometimes, one of them is broken or bent...

Freeks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Sorry, it seems that your only solution is trying to change home button.

Try to see if, when opening the iPhone, the two pins that come out from the home button are touching properly the dock assembly bellow... Sometimes, one of them is broken or bent...

Thanks for your reply. I didn't explain why the homebutton don't work as it is a different story :D

While ago the phone was fully working other than that the screen was broken. It didn't matter the use as it was just shattered. I took it to to a repair guy who changed the screen to new one and the home button on the new screen element didn't work. He tried few new screen modules and the old one, but the home button didn't work anymore.

So the phone has new screen/homebutton, but the button just don't work. Probably the repair guy broke the connection that connects the homebutton, but i don't know. It took the screen off and put it back carefully, but it don't help.

I might just take phone to pieces and try to re-build it. Problem is that it can't be turned off :/

AndyMc

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
New York, Ivano-Frankivsk
I'm trying to get my old iPhone 3G back to use even as a iPod, but it seems impossible.

I made mistake and restored the phone as it has been on my GF's use previously. After the restore phone says NO SIM even that there is a SIM installed. Same that it was used before so no problem with locking. I have opened the phone and cleaned all parts etc but it just don't regonize the sim anymore.

That would be no problem as i could still use it as iPod. BUT the home button is not working. That would be fine too as it can be used with soft homebutton, but it is impossible to boot the phone.

All hacks that i have found requires phone to enter into DFU mode that is impossible without home button. It is also impossible to power down the phone from the NO SIM screen. Only way to shut it down is to wait few weeks to battery to run out.

It is possible to enter to DFU without homebutton IF the phone is booted already.

Long story short: How to boot iPhone3G (with probably iOS4) without SIM and homebutton?
All help appreciated!

I can help you with that. You need to download Redsn0w 0.9.14b2 that has option to boot (enter DFU) if broken homebutton (without Home button)
Find the tutorial here: http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/enter-dfu-mode-broken-button-jailbreak-redsn0w-0-9-14b2-windows/

Freeks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
I can help you with that. You need to download Redsn0w 0.9.14b2 that has option to boot (enter DFU) if broken homebutton (without Home button)
Find the tutorial here: http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/enter-dfu-mode-broken-button-jailbreak-redsn0w-0-9-14b2-windows/

Ok, this was a bad idea :(
I managed to boot the phone and followed those instructions to get it to DFU mode.

Now the phone is stuck with apple logo and empty progress bar. iTunes shut down in middle of the restore process and when re-opening iTunes it won't regonize the phone anymore.

So i had a iPhone with broken home button and now i have iPhone with broken OS :(

billuptracyo

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
I might just take phone to pieces and try to re-build it.
a121.jpg

Freeks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Fixing the home button is quite simple and cheap.
You should try that before selling it to pieces.

I tried it by removing all the cables and re-attaching them, but it didn't help.

The SIM problem was fixed as phones battery finally ran out and when i re-booted it there was message for sim pin. So the problem was on the OS not a fysical problem.

Power button don't work properly either. It works sometimes and sometimes not. Now i need to find a way to get the phone out from the recovery mode via software as it can't be shut down. Or i need to disconnect the battery, but there is too much work.

Nokia phones crashed so regularly that taking of the battery was a daily task :D

luisadastwin

macrumors regular
LOL

Back in those Nokia days, it was such a frequent task (to remove the battery) LOOOL :p:p

You can order a new home button in eBay (very cheap) and here's how to change it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgLWx7w_nfc

I've already swapped EVERYTHING in my 3GS!!! Only ONE only thing I've not changed: the mainboard!!

Here's what I've changed so far:
  • Glass
  • Digitizer
  • LCD
  • Home Button
  • Volume buttons
  • Power buttons
  • Back Housing
  • Dock connector Assembly
  • Camera
  • Anti dust meshes
  • WiFi Antenna
  • Battery (a lot of times)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.