How to boot linux or Windows DVD from external DVD-ROM with superdrive removed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rev.b, May 9, 2011.

1. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

I've got a crucial m4 and a "generic" optibay, where I put my Scorpio Black 750 gb. Best decision ever, my '10 MBP flies with it, and I've got all the hdd space that I need.

However, I didn't realize Mac EFI is NOT very friendly when booting from external DVD drives... OS X installation DVD works, but everything else doesn't - Gparted, Ubuntu live CD, Windows 7 DVD (for bootcamp).

I did search and find some old thread, and I guess it's a known subject... but from all the solutions suggested, I couldn't make them work.

I installed rEFIt, made a bootable usb stick, and so on, but nothing.

Any case of success "fooling" the MBP EFI to boot from another OS?

Thanks.

2. pedrofan macrumors 6502

3. golgo1313 macrumors regular

i've been trying the same for a couple of weeks now...

refit, usb installer... nothing
    can't seem to get the vmware fusion/winclone to work either
    i haven't tried parallels/winclone, i guess that's next

i'm almost thinking of reinstalling superdrive to reinstall win7 into boot camp.

4. Makie macrumors newbie

Try turning on the machine with the 'C' pressed, which should hopefully boot off the optical drive.

Not sure if the EFI has got anything to do with booting off a DVD, as when I had the harddrive removed it was booting from the Ubuntu CD normally as for a couple of days was just using the machine off the live CD.

If you are using Ubuntu you would have to use 10.04.1 or higher with a mbp.

5. Makie macrumors newbie

On Vmware in Ubuntu, previously installed winxp via an *.iso image instead of directly from the cd, you could try to see if that method works with win 7 with fusion.

6. golgo1313 macrumors regular

i am able to install win7 in fusion, but i can't figure out how to take that over to the boot camp partition, so that i can boot natively into win7.

7. rev.b thread starter macrumors regular

rev.b

Yes, the external optical drive works just fine within OS X (and it even boots OS X installation disk) and of course to install something on Parallels or Vmware.

Problem is that Apple firmware seems to prevent booting other OS from external devices.

The catch. There's always a catch with :apple: ...

8. tosehee macrumors member

I've spent nearly 3 weeks on this stupid issue, and end up putting the optical bay back to where it was.

I wanted to run ubuntu on the separate HDD, and I can't, for the life of me, figure it out how to install it.

I could swap back and forth to install more than 1 OS on the separate drive, but I am not too crazy about ubuntu to work around the hassle.

9. rev.b thread starter macrumors regular

rev.b

Tried a bootable SDcard, does not work either.

How about network startup? What are the requirements for booting from a network drive? Something like remote install but with windows DVD?

10. golgo1313 macrumors regular

i personally haven't tried it, but i've read that remote install doesn't work for windows.