Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuellemann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Hello,

I just bought ROME (the uncut version), Season 1 DVD. I can rip it with HandBrake and see it on my ATV. But I would like to save it as a TV show with different episodes.

The first DVD has three episodes on it, so I want to start with that. After I ripped the DVD -

a) How can I break up the handbrake file into several episodes and

b) How can I tell iTunes that these belong to season one so that they are displayed as one Season with different episodes like the shows we do buy from iTunes?

(Fyi: Handbrake does not seem to see these episodes, only the files you can see in the screenshot. How can I extract the episodes?)

Thanks very much,

Jan Fuellemann

Attachments

• hb_rome_files.jpg
    hb_rome_files.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,199

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
In Handbrake, you will have to do 3 encodes from different titles. Just select each on in sequence, change the file name of the extract (I would recommend starting it with "S1E01 - NAME" so you don't get out of order. Then click "Add to Queue". Once everything is set, click "Start".

In your example, Episode 1 is title 1 (50:10); Episode 2 is title 2 (47:57); and Episode 3 is title 3 (42:31).

Usually, Handbrake picks the longest title as the one to decode. For movies, this is usually the feature presentation. It is a little different with TV shows.

Also, when you put it into iTunes, make sure you classify it as a TV show, otherwise all the episodes are going to clutter up your movies list in iTunes or Apple TV.

NOTE: I encode movies using the Universal Preset. I save some disk space by encoding TV shows using the older Legacy iPod Hires format. Just a personal preference, but one I thought I would share.

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Hello,
b) How can I tell iTunes that these belong to season one so that they are displayed as one Season with different episodes like the shows we do buy from iTunes?

Sorry, didn't answer "b".

Once the files are in iTunes, they will appear under the Movies tab. Highlight all the episodes of a series and then type CMD-I :)apple:-I). This will bring up a "Get Info" dialog. Under the "Options" tab, change the "Media Type" to "TV Show". Under the "Video" tab, you can enter the Show title and Season Number. You have to individually do the episode numbers. I would do that after everything is moved into the TV Show tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.