How to bring RAM back to normal

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MikeMacPL, Aug 27, 2009.

1. MikeMacPL macrumors member

This is the problem I just bought a brand new 2009 iMac with 4 Gigs of RAM. I installed the iStat Pro app that shows whats running and how much things are going on. I noticed that the RAM indicator went from 4 GIGS of RAM to 940MB of RAM. I'm freaking out b/c this a brand new computer. Is there a solution to bring the RAM back to normal?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

How much RAM does System Profilier say you have. That is what really matters.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I can only imagine that you are looking at the amount of available RAM. Quit out of some programs and your RAM amount should increase. Freaking out is not necessary, there's nothing wrong here rather you are just mis-understanding what iStat is telling you.

4. hh83917 macrumors 6502

You probably have some specific programs that are eating up the RAM and it did not release it after you quit it. Simply do a restart and you should be able to get your free RAM back. Also, Snow Leopard might be able to improve this as well.

5. MikeMacPL thread starter macrumors member

Ok I restarted my iMac and checked system profiler and says it has 4Gigs of RAM. I checked iStat Pro for the Memory:
    Wired-424MB
    Active-400MB
    Inactive-32MB
    Free 2.90GB

Where is the other 1 GB of RAM is?
    Are those stats normal?

6. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

Yes, it's normal. The system and apps you have running are using up the rest of the RAM that's not free.

7. MikeMacPL thread starter macrumors member

Does the RAM decrease when I download large files too?

8. CTJoyce macrumors member

Thats a yes and no answer.

Yes it will decrease during large file transfers because of how files are moved between places.

No because after the transfer is done it will set itself back down to where it should be.

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

RAM usage by the computer is sort of mysterious since programs borrow memory and the OS sometimes moves around which app is using what. What's important to know, right now, for you, is that your computer recognizes that it has 4 GB of RAM. You can do this many ways in many programs (Activity Monitor, System Profiler, About this Mac dialog, iStat, etc.), as long as you can verify your computer has 4 GB then there is nothing to be concerned about.

10. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

You have to add all those numbers together to get your total RAM. If you do that with these numbers you come pretty darn close to 4 GB. Not sure if your system has integrated graphics, which uses up system RAM to function, which may account for the rest to total 4 GB.