Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
My mother owns a store and would like to bring it online. What advice do you guys have in terms of software, site development, etc.?

For instance, we would like an online store, with credit card purchasing and shopping cart. We would like it to be secure. :)

Also:
Is there a way to database all the items, both online and off, and have them constantly sync. If my mother sells every item at the store, the stock indication online would read SOLD OUT and save someone from purchasing an item already sold.

Can this be done for a small store? Cheap? Preferably with Macs or PCs?
It would be cool if it could be done with Macs cause then I could talk my mom into getting a iBook (and i wouldnt have to fix her pc every two minutes)
:p

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
If you are looking for a inexpensive method, some web hosting company offers ready-made shopping cart functionality. Web control management like cpanel also have shopping cart add-ons available as well.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
OSCommerce is the most commonly used open source shopping cart and you can download it for free. I've done a few OScommerce installs and skinning and it is the most straightforward in my eyes. If you are going to accept credit cards you need to look into SSL, merchant account, and a gateway. I wouldn't recommend you starting your first site off with an OScemmerce install and CC processor :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.