How to browse dmg and iso files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nelly22, Sep 26, 2015.

1. nelly22 macrumors 6502

I have usb stick which Disk Utility cannot repair.

I created backup using dd in iso, dd and dmg formats.

If i double click dmg or iso, i get "no mountable file systems" error.

Is there any apps which allows me to browse files inside these backup files or in original damaged stick?

2. subsonix macrumors 68040

Since you used dd your copies will have the same error as the usb stick. You could try with ddrescue, but since this is not a spinning disk I'm not sure if that would be effective at all. There's no way to browse the content if you can not mount the image afaik. You could try with a data rescue program to retrieve individual files from the image, I can't give you any recomendations for that, you'll have to search for one. Perhaps someone else has a suggestion.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Does the USB drive still mount on the desktop (regardless of what Disk Utility says)?

If so, have you tried just copying the contents of it to another folder?
    The folder can be anywhere -- on the desktop, on your internal drive, on another drive, it doesn't matter.

Do the files "copy over"?
    What happens?

You may be able to copy some stuff from the drive, but not ALL of it.
    The point is to "get what you can get" OFF OF that drive.

Once you've done so, you might try re-initializing the flash drive.

Sometimes flash drives just "go bad" on you, and there's nothing to do but toss them and use another one...

4. nelly22 thread starter macrumors 6502

It don't mount. And i cannot make Super Duper backup because it don't mount.

I was hoping i could browse files in dd, iso or dmg even these don't mount at all.