How to browse iBook store, but without an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stagmeister, Mar 6, 2011.

1. stagmeister macrumors regular

I am considering purchasing an iPad and one of the uses would be to read books. But I can't find a way to browse the iBook store and see what books they have available, without actually owning an iPad. Is it accessible via iTunes?

2. Erkenntnis macrumors member

You can't browse it outside of the iBooks app.

They should change that, definitely. But it's not there yet.

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

4. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

If you have an iPhone (3G or newer)/iPod touch (2nd generation or newer) you can download iBooks and view the iBookstore from there.

Ams.

5. stagmeister thread starter macrumors regular

I have an iPod touch 2G, but the app store is telling me that iBooks is not available to download...

6. deeddawg, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

If there's an Apple store nearby, I bet you could go there and use one of their ipads to look up whats available. Not ideal, but one thought.

Also, iBook isn't the only option: Amazon has the Kindle app, B&N has a Nook reader app, Google has an ebook app and ebook store, etc. iBooks will read ePub format books just fine regardless of where you get them; I have several titles from fictionwise.com that I read within iBooks.

Plus there's Stanza as a general purpose ebook reader and Overdrive too -- Overdrive being useful if your public library has a system for loaning ebooks. (mine say's coming this month, so I don't know if there is or will be much).

With this said, there are a number of doomsayers claiming Amazon will remove the Kindle app from the App store rather than kow-tow to Apple's Subscription Model requirements. I'm thinking I'd worry about that if/when it happens more so than making a choice based on something that might happen. Plus, no telling how it would truly fall out, I'd be surprised if Amazon abandoned the iOS platform. (not impossible, but I'd be surprised)

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Recently found this site: http://www.leatherbound.me/

Type in book title or author and it tells you which bookstore (nook, kindle, ibooks) has it and for how much.

8. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

If your only going to be using the iPad for reading, have you considered a Kindle instead? For me they are much more practical to carry around and much easier to read from.

Obviously if you want to play angry birds kindle is rubbish.