How to burn a DVD of an AVI file with a weird codec?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bollweevil, Mar 7, 2009.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

I really want to burn a normal video-DVD of this video, but it is encoded with a weird codec. I don't even know what the codec is. The latest version of Quicktime won't even play the .avi file, but VLC media player handles it perfectly with no prompting or hassle.

I have a MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.6, and I have never burned a video-DVD before, only data-DVDs. I am guessing I need some kind of software to turn this encoded computer-video file into a nice MPEG for the DVD. What software? Please suggest free and paid-for software, I am doing this for a class and I have a budget.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If you download the Perian codec pack, the conversion should work no problem (and QuickTime should be able to play it too).

3. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, I installed Perian and now Quicktime can play everything. Cool, certainly worthwhile.

But the question remains - how do I burn a video-DVD? I don't know how to burn a video-DVD of anything. Quicktime doesn't seem to have a "burn DVD" button. Do I have to install Nero or Roxio or something? I haven't needed to install disk burning software in like six years because I have been burning CDs and data-DVDs, and those have always been easy as pie.

Thanks.

4. paul.opensource macrumors member

Do you mean a DVD that is playable in a (TV) DVD player? Like a commercial DVD?

5. Cap41 macrumors 6502

Toast is a great program. Or a free version of "burn" will work.