Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iQuinten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Hello,

I want to burn an .mp4 file onto an CD but it must be playable on a dvd player.
Like a Playstation 3 or a mac. So when you open up the CD/DVD it wil automatically open a DVD Player and read it as a real movie DVD. I am a noobie within this, i've got a CD-R from Sony 700MB. So how do i do this?

Sorry for my english.

Thank you!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
WOW! Aren't you the demanding one?

What you are demanding is called VCD. This is a 1993 technology standard. It pre-dates DVD [and Blu-ray, obviously]. VCD is all but forgotten today.

There were DVD STBs (set top boxes that) played VCDs. However, most DVD STBs were not and are not compatible with VCD.

VCD video is encoded as MPEG-1. Your VCD tools must convert MPEG4 to MPEG-1. Now, here is your problem. The VCD creation tools being pushed to current users appear to be rip-offs designed to separate fools from their money. Older creation tools may be available, but they may not be compatible with newer versions of OS X.

My advice to you is to rethink how your videos can be played. Playing VCDs is not as much of an issue as creating them. We have too many video playing and creation options today than to bother with one from 21 years ago.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Hello,

Like a Playstation 3 or a mac. So when you open up the CD/DVD it wil automatically open a DVD Player and read it as a real movie DVD. I am a noobie within this, i've got a CD-R from Sony 700MB. So how do i do this?

Sorry for my english.

Thank you!

If its to be played on a DVD player, what's the reason for using a CD ? Use a DVD for this and get better quality. U can fit a dvd movie on a cd by reducing the bit-rate, but quality will be worse than a VHS tape.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Hello,

Sorry for my english.

Thank you!

Hello
What you need to be using is a DVD - not CD. Maybe you got your words confused?

Anyway, the best solution to your problem is to download an App from the Mac App Store. Just search for "DVD" and you'll find many apps to let you create your own DVDs.
I find that the paid apps work much better than the free ones. The one I like to use is called "iSkysoft DVD Creator".

Good luck!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.