How to burn AVCHD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Elevatorguy, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Elevatorguy macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a Canon HF 10 and a Sony BDP-300 Blu-Ray player. What I am trying to do is burn the raw, unedited movie footage I have on my Macbook onto DVD. I have the movies saved as .dmg files that open a disk image of what was recorded by the camera. My reason for burning it to DVD is twofold. I want to burn it as a backup copy incase of a hard drive failure as well as be able to play it on my Blu-Ray player in HD quality. What is the easiest/best way to do this? I have read that there are programs out there like Toast 9 and Revolver HD that will do this as well as allow editing but as far as I can tell, they also convert the original footage to another format. I would like to keep everything native if possible. As far as the media, is DVD-R or DVD+R more widely used? My Blu-Ray player can handle both formats, but which is more playable in more Blu-Ray units? I will be burning copies for relatives with other players. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

If you want to make a BD Data disc for back up purposes or for authoring BD Video discs, you'll need blank BD-R discs. DVD-R or +R won't cut it.

Here's a selection to choose from: http://www.supermediastore.com/blue-ray-blu-ray-dvd-media-recorder.html

If you plan to make a playable BD-Video disc, then the format will have to change from AVCHD. The Blu-ray spec allows for either MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 encoding. You'll need a BD authoring program for this ... and of course a BD burner.

-DH

3. Elevatorguy thread starter macrumors newbie

DH,
    Thanks for the reply. I am trying to burn a disc in AVCHD format that is playable in a Blu-Ray player. As far as I know, Blu-Ray players recognize and decode the AVCHD codec.

4. -DH macrumors 65816

From what I've read of the Blu-ray video specification, it allows for MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 encoded files (and also VC21 which is pretty obscure). But since AVCHD somewhat of a variation of MPEG-4, maybe it is possible ... I just haven't ever found that to be stated as fact in print from any official source.

The only BD-video codec requirements I've seen are:

MPEG-2
    h.264/MPEG-4 AVC
    VC-21 (SMPTE 421M)

-DH