How to burn DVDs from torrented files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by malachai, Nov 27, 2007.

1. malachai macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is a stupid question...
    So I'm downloading a torrented DVD (no it's not pirated!) and I end up with a video_ts folder containing .vob files and .bup and .ifo files. I can watch my .vob files with vlc - the first one is an inactive menu, the others play the movie, but I have to click on each file separately. I use Dragon Burn to burn a DVD - using the Data DVD tab. The burn is fine, but when I try to play the DVD, the built-in DVD player won't work ("supported disc not available') and VLC displays an error message. I can still watch the DVD (using VLC) clicking onto the individual files, just as with the original download, but how can I burn a DVD that will work like any DVD, ie, use the menu and play the whole movie. Ideally, work in a DVD player, too....
    :confused:

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

use toast. click video then video_ts folder, drag the video_ts folder into the space and click burn. couldnt be easier!

if you want to watch the dvd as a single movie file with quicktime/front row or vlc use visual hub, click on either the mpeg4 or avi tab. drag in the video_ts folder and click start. this takes a lot longer than burning to dvd as its converting the .vob & .ifo files to a different format.

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Great advise, i use this myself.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thanks crazycat :)

also if you want to backup your own dvds ;) use mactheripper to make an unencrypted video_ts folder and then use toast to burn to a dvd. if the movie is larger than 4.7GB and you dont have a dual layer dvd burner toast will automatically compress the video_ts folder without much quality loss.

ive heard of others using dvd2onex to compress to a single layer DVD as it much faster than toast. i dont use this myself as toast is fast enough on my intel macbook pro.

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

what's the name of this legal DVD you have downloaded ?

6. SCStevens04 macrumors member

Star Trek New Voyages for one.

I've had a time with this same thing... thanks for the help.

7. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

wow is that still going ?

8. malachai thread starter macrumors newbie

Richthomas, thanks for your advice, that was really helpful. I will buy toast asap.
    For liketom, the DVD is called 'Trail Of Tears' - it's an old TV program about Native Americans, with Johnny Cash. And I didn't say it was legal, just that it's not pirated...
    ;)

9. steveimp macrumors newbie

I've got a couple of episodes mate, I can bring them in for you next week if you want!