How to buy 3G iPhone - Strategies?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Advance The Man, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

I am not an att customer, but will be when I purchase the 3G iphone. I won't wait in all night lines either to get one. Last year when it was released, could you order one online through apple? How many (need two) did apple/att allow to purchase?

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

They were available in store only for about a month or so. There were pre-orders online, but they didn't ship for a while. AT&T stores were limit 1 per customer, Apple was 2 at launch, then increased the number. Most Apple stores had stock through the entire launch weekend, whereas the AT&T stores only got like 20-50 phones and sold out in the first couple hours.

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Yes.

There was a limit of two per person on launch day last year.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Last time you could buy one the night of launch without waiting in line. Sure there was a line at first but it cleared out quickly. They sold out by the end of the weekend but had more in by the next weekend.

I think there will be plenty of stock. There is less hype this time.

5. meagain macrumors 68030

Oh IDK about that. Further, if Apple announces and doesn't release till June 16th (my belief), the hype will most certainly be there. Especially after the world gets a view of the amazing/stunning apps they can get. :apple:

6. spazattack674 macrumors regular

That was my thinking on the release date. They will most likely announce the new iPhone on Monday (tomorrow), but I'm guessing that they will make it available next week. Because even Apple would have trouble delivering thousands of phones to stores across the country without word getting out. Also, I don't think that they could possibly release it any later than the 16th or so because they haven't had a phone available for purchase for almost a month now.

7. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i was initially going to buy online, but since i heard that availability might not be immediate i am going to just wait in line the day of. it will be an experience anyhow.

8. Zethca macrumors regular

If it does end up being released this week, when do you get in line? Before the store opens Tuesday? It doesn't seem like they'd have them in-store so soon.

9. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

I'm not waiting in line. Yes they will sell out like last time but next week every ATT store had plenty for the taking. Apple will keep em stocked.

10. Zethca macrumors regular

The reason I'm asking is because I need to get one ASAP, as my 30 day refund policy on my POS Samsung slider runs out next weekend and I don't want to be phoneless. I got it to hold me over when I lost my original iphone last month.

11. jalpert macrumors 6502

It never hurts to order one online. If you order one online, and find one local in process cancel your online order. If your online order is in the mail, don't open it then you can always return it. You might have to eat shipping costs, but I believe it's only about $12...

12. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I went to the Apple store about 2 hours after zero-hour and stood in line for about 15 minutes total. Was worth it.

Apple has retail down to a science ... the store I went to had around 30+ employees checking out people with the hand held credit card machines. It went FAST.