How to buy a Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cvahl, Nov 2, 2007.

1. cvahl macrumors member

I know this might be a stupid question, but I am thinking about going to the Apple Store today to buy me a Macbook.
    Do you think I should open it in the store to see if it should have any pixel errors? What else do I have to check then? Or would it be better to order it online? Do you have any other important advises?
    Furthermore, I'm a European student currently living in America, do you think that they will accept my international student identity card (ISIC), or do only American students get the educational rebate?

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I'd get it from the store, shipping through Apple has always been a bit iffy for me (they use FedEx most of the time, who don't have good service in my opinion).

3. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

Upside: You get it right now.

Downside: If you wanted factory upgrades like more RAM, bigger hard drive, etc., you're SOL.

So, if you wanted a completely stock MacBook, go for it.

4. mantas macrumors newbie

Did you get educational discount with ISIC?

5. slu macrumors 68000

slu

You are right about HDD, but they will upgrade your RAM in the store. I know because I did it.

6. f1 macrumors 6502

The Apple STore will not accept your ISIC card, you need the student card issued directly from the school. With that in hand however you will qualify for the education discount

7. cvahl thread starter macrumors member

No, but they accepted my University ID (although it was just a "special" ID, I don't have a student ID here yet), so luckily I could leave together with my Macbook... :)