How to buy a no contract iPhone from Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mauka, Feb 10, 2011.

1. mauka, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

mauka macrumors member

mauka

Could someone please fill in a few gaps for me?

1) My AT&T contract more than 2 years old. It has minutes, text and unlimited data.

2) I have a 3GS phone associated with that plan.

3) Can I buy a no contract 4G iPhone from Apple, put the 3GS SIM card into it and start using it? Will the unlimited data plan continue to work?

4) Do I need to contract AT&T to let them know I have a new phone?

5) Can I sell my 3GS on eBay without a SIM card?

Thanks in advance,
    Alan

2. yearofthe macrumors regular

yearofthe

Just sell the damn thing and use the money for a new iPhone 4!

3. mauka thread starter macrumors member

mauka

That's what I want to do, but with no contract. iPhones appear to hold their value so I want to get a 4g now and sell it when the 5g arrives.

4. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

honestly I would call up AT&T right now, and tell them you want to cancel. When they transfer you to the retention department, tell them you want the iphone 4 with unlimited data and that's why your switching to verizon.

I can almost guarantee they will give it you for $200 and leave your unlimited data plan intact.

If your worried about signing a contract, sell the phone, it will pay the ETF

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I investigated this. To get a no contract iPhone you have to buy from Apple store. Then I called AT&T and asked how the process worked. I told them I bought an iPhone from Apple. They said I don't have to sign a contract, it will be month to month.

(when I first investigated this I first called AT&T store. They said even if I buy iPhone at full price I still have to get in contract)

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

3. Obviously, you'll have to cut the SIM card to make it fit. However, I believe it comes with a micro-sim, so you may not have to cut anything.

7. iFitz macrumors regular

I'm confused. So you want the iPhone 4 and want to keep your unlimited data plan? No problem. You're grandfathered in and you can upgrade to the iPhone 4 keeping your unlimited data plan. If you're due for an upgrade, you'll get the phone for $200 and retain your unlimited plan. No need to pay full price to keep your plan.

8. tritonj macrumors 6502a

he doesn't want to re up the contract that's why he is buying it for full price

9. iFitz macrumors regular

I still don't believe he'll lose his data plan even if he does go month to month. He can still activate another phone and keep the plan.

10. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Partially correct. To buy full price from AT&T you have to be on a contract. If you don't have an upgrade and buy full price they won't extend the contract. If you are on month-to-month currently, or have an upgrade available, I was told I would have to buy full price from Apple, or use the upgrade.

11. mauka thread starter macrumors member

mauka

Thanks! - clears up a few things.

Based on the prices I see for iPhone I can buy a 4G 16GB for $600 then sell my 3GS 16GB for $200, and be out a net $400 without a contract.

Then if the 5G is a must have, I can do this all over again.

I still have my first 2G iPhone, when you had to pay full price even with a contract. Still works just fine - wonder what it's worth?

Even though I keep paying AT&T - I like not having a contract. Plus I like to think it demonstrates to the carriers that they will survive without having to lock us into contracts every d*** time.

I had forgotten about the 4G having a micro card. The Apple Store should be able to transfer my account over to the 4G and deactivate the one in the 3GS. Think I'll go to the Apple store this weekend and talk to them about this.

What's driving me is my wife got an Verizon iPhone from her employer yesterday, I'm envious and we would like to try out facetime. ;)

Alan

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I am interested in no contract myself. But I think it will be a better benefit if Apple comes out with a 'dual phone'.

13. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Instead of cutting down the SIM and risk messing it up just head to your local AT&T store. They give out free SIM cards and MicroSIMS to iPhone 4 owners. There will be no penalty whatsoever against you, AT&T doesn't care what phone you're using as long as you're paying for the correct plan. I'm assuming you have a data plan though. My sister recently dropped her phone in a sink, picked up a regular SIM from AT&T to use my Nexus One and then a new MicroSIM when she managed to go to the Apple store. So much better than T-Mobile's crazy $20 fee.

14. svenn macrumors 6502

Just to share my experience when I went to an Apple store as a non-AT&T customer. I wanted to purchase a 3gs full price to avoid any contract. "Knowledgeable" Apple employee tells me I will be stuck with contract even if I pay full price. Thanks. Note to self: try to find different Apple store with even more knowledgeable people for next time.

15. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I'd buy the next phone with the upgrade if you're happy with AT&T - AT&T doesn't charge you less for not having a full-price or subsidy-paid-off phone.

And depending on the baseband, you can probably get more for that 3GS than $200

16. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Really, i would just wait until summer to get the next iPhone. I know its not a guarantee, but a new phone will most likely come out in june/july. The iPhone 4 is 8 months old, so buying a new phone in 4 months doesnt make sense.
    If you do decide to get an iPhone 4, just go to the apple store, or apple.com and buy one off contract. Then go to an ATT store and get a new microsim.
    If you decide to sell your 3GS, you can get at least $350 for it, $400 if you jailbreak it and unlock it. As long as you dont cancel your plan, you will keep your unlimited data.