How to buy a unlocked 4s from apple store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcafeepepe, Oct 26, 2011.

1. mcafeepepe macrumors member

I learn that Apple sold so many unlocked 4s without contract and full price.
    But I am not convinced.So who can guild me.The news is true? and buy from ATT is locked?

2. SolstroCken macrumors newbie

SolstroCken

3. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

4. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Apple will not sell "unlocked" iPhone 4S' until mid November. However from my understanding you can buy an "Off-Contract" ATT iPhone today from the Apple store and it will be unlocked. Though they will probably not confirm that it is unlocked.

This is only based on what i read and i can't confirm for myself. If you do buy an "Off-Contract" iPhone 4S, please let us know how it goes.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

If you buy a no contract AT&T phone and it's unlocked, do not count on it staying that way.. AT&T can lock it at any time, not just on initial activation.

6. james-jones macrumors member

james-jones

:rolleyes: Where's your source for that?

Apple appears to be following the same policy they have in place for iPhone 4s - if you buy a full price AT&T phone, it is unlocked, just the same as if you get the 'unlocked' SKU. The model number has nothing to do with the IMEI database unlock status.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/27/all-no-commitment-att-iphone-4-purchases-coming-unlocked/

You do need to buy it at an Apple retail store, though, and make sure the sales rep chooses 'Device Only' on their POS handheld. They should not need your phone number or any other AT&T account information if you're doing it right. Any phones sold at an AT&T store are added to the IMEI lock database.

I'm enjoying my unlocked 4S right now :cool: :apple:

7. Montanan macrumors member

I think some people are reading about the iPhone's "world phone" capabilities, and confusing the "international" unlock that some carriers are offering with a full unlock, which is not yet available.

8. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

I don't confirm whether this version will be locked in the future.

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Until Apple begins selling official unlocked phones, you are running the risk of your phone being locked down in the future. The AT&T full price phone clearly states you will only use it on the AT&T network.

It's only a matter of time before Apple reports your IMEI to AT&T for lock down....

Be aware of the risk.

You may indeed be lucky, however it's not worth the risk to me. I don't need an $800 iPod touch

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

Well you could read this thread instead of starting yet another thread. :(

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1253171

Yes, Apple retail stores hve sold quite a few AT&T iPhone 4S units that are unlocked. This is currently a loophole is closing as word about it spreads. It really comes down to the rep that is selling you the iPhone and how they choose to process the transaction.

They have 3 choices:

1. Device Only ( Unlocked ) :eek:
    2. Upgrade
    3. New line of service

Dave

11. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

In my opinion, Select Device only is unlocked. I think insert other carrier's sim at first.ATT will lock that according the technology points or not?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

AT&T does not have acess to Apple's unlocked/locked imei database.
    Carriers usually request phones to be unlocked and their IMEI changed on Apples activation servers not the other way around.
    So its not up to AT&T to lock phones at any time they please.

13. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

I think so!But I am wondering whether it is unlocked if I upgrade a phone by full price.Maybe it is seems that is also successful.Could you answer?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you buy it full price from Apple when you activate it for the first time it will give you this message below.
    When you see that then the phone is officially unlocked and will not be locked to any carrier again.
    If for some reason they mess up and tie it up to your AT&T account you can always return it if you dont get that screen below and you test it out with a Tmobile sim and it wont work.

[​IMG]

15. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Sorry, this is not correct. AT&T controls whether your device is locked to their network, not Apple. This is done through the activation database, which is tied into the GSM network.

There is no request made to Apple. Activation or deactivation is immediate and controlled by the carrier, tied to device activation and/or SIM card authentication.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What I meant is on other international carriers that unlock iphones a request needs to be made by the carrier to Apple to unlock a specific customers IMEI.
    Iphone's sold by AT&T or under contract with AT&T are locked to AT&T.
    What I was saying is once an iphone is officially unlocked AT&T or any other carrier cannot lock it back to their network like you guessed or suggested above.

17. JoganJani macrumors member

I bought 2 iPhone 4 S from Apple store, off-contract, device only and immediately went next door to get T-mo SIM and it worked fine. I never connected it to iTunes.

Will it stay that way? I hope it does.

Will it be locked later by AT&T? I hope not.

18. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

I don't think ATT will do that. It is so foolish.But I need to confirm you purchased the phone to offer apple some informations such as ATT number or not.If I upgrade to get a phone,I must activated live or not.That is important.

19. JoganJani macrumors member

I did not provide any information to apple. In the line at the store, I told the genius that I want AT&T Off-contract, device only for full price and confirmed that they would you sell me one? He said yes so I stayed in the line for hour and forty-five minutes and got two.

20. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

Perfect!guys!ready to go!

21. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Absolutely incorrect. iPhone activation servers & database are run by Apple. This database is updated at time of phone purchase (to lock the phone based on IMEI/MEID) or when a carrier asks Apple to unlock a device. And there are 0 reports of a phone ever getting locked again once it has finally been marked unlocked in Apple's master IMEI database.

Now, of course, the *line of service* is controlled by the carrier and is immediate, but that is tied to the SIM card itself. The status of what SIMs the phone is willing to accept, however, is only indirectly under the carrier's control; the lock or unlock has to pass through Apple to happen.

-- Nathan

22. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

23. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

I mean if I dont insert att sim card to activate the phone at first,it is locked in the future or not. is it risk?

24. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

Hi,I doubt all the phones is locked originally,because I call apple service ,then tell me it is locked,but when I activate the phone connecting itunes.it shows phone is unlocked.So I guess if you didn't offer att info to apple,the phone is safe,once you tell them that,ATT will lock.

25. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

i am hoping unlocked iPhone 4S released come tuesday November the 1st!!! :D