Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJordz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Well, I live in the UK and the iPad comes out on the 25th,

I've never bought an Apple Product on a launch day before but am going to this side,

My mum said I can take the day off school for the day to get it,

Though I'll have to get the train to liverpool whats only around 15 minutes on the train as thats where my nearest Apple store is,

But, Whats the Best Time to arrive on a launch day, and would they run out of stock if i was like at the back of the line? :L

Also , just any general tips.

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Not to be an alarmist, but do try to be aware of your surroundings so no one snatches an iPad from a kid. Bring a backpack and put the iPad box in that.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
As much as I love my Apple products, I don't stand in line.

iPhone- walked in Saturday morning and walked out with phone in under 10 minutes.

iPhone 4- went dinnertime. Waited on a line with 20 people in front of me. Walked out with iPhone 4 after waiting no more than 10 minutes.

iPad- walked in next morning and left with one in less than 5 minutes.

iJordz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Not to be an alarmist, but do try to be aware of your surroundings so no one snatches an iPad from a kid. Bring a backpack and put the iPad box in that.

My mums on planning on coming with me, It's more of a treat / day out for me as I've done really good in school lately.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If you are going to take the day off, go as early as possible.

I was in like 4 hours for iPad and 24 hours for iPhone 4.

As much as I love my Apple products, I don't stand in line.

iPhone- walked in Saturday morning and walked out with phone in under 10 minutes.

iPhone 4- went dinnertime. Waited on a line with 20 people in front of me. Walked out with iPhone 4 after waiting no more than 10 minutes.

iPad- walked in next morning and left with one in less than 5 minutes.

Depends on where you are. In most areas they are sold out for iPad and iPhone 4.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
If you are going to take the day off, go as early as possible.

I was in like 4 hours for iPad and 24 hours for iPhone 4.

Depends on where you are. In most areas they are sold out for iPad and iPhone 4.

Long Island, hardly a rural area.

iJordz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
How much does a store normally take in stock on launch day?

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
When I bought my iPad last April. I was in and out of the Apple store in like 15 minutes. Would have been less, but I let them show me a few things on it in the store.

as for the iPhone 4, I waited in line for roughly 12 hours on launch day. That was the line for those that had reserved an iPhone for pick up.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I don't know and it just might be me but why on earth aren't they taking online orders for this thing right now? I would think you create excitement and then you go in for the kill and let everyone order instead of thinking about it and then talking yourself out of it. I know it's Apple and they will sell no matter what but it just doesn't make sense to me. Get the order and ship the darn things on March 11 and you get them on the 12th or the 14th. Let the ones who are willing to wait in line in the stores get one first, who cares.

With that said I will be getting one but I refuse to wait in line or mess with the store on the day it comes out. The only store in my town is a mad house all the time. About a month ago I went in there to get an Ipad and couldn't find anyone to wait on me because they were all busy. Finally someone came up to me and took my name and said they would get to me as soon as someone was free. Fortunately for me after 30 minutes I gave up and left the store without an Ipad. I have decided to give up on the store experience and just order online and wait for it to come to my door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.