How to buy and unlock iPhone in U.S.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hierik, Aug 1, 2009.

1. hierik macrumors member

Hi Folks

I was wondering how I could buy an iPhone in the U.S. unlock it, and then take it back to denmark so I could use my own phonecompany ?

I heard that I could go to an apple store and say that I wanna buy iPhone as a gift , and I want the device with me, and they'll give me the iPhone for 700 bucks ? Is this true ?

I really hope you can help me fast !!

Best Regards

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Look at this brand new thread for answers about the unlocking. And as for buying the iPhone, you have to have a contract with AT&T in order to buy an iPhone.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Currently you can not purchase factory unlocked in the U.S., jmann's links will help you...

4. Ericatomars macrumors regular

new phone

You can buy an iphone from the store without a contract. Its $500.00 for a 3G and $700.00 for the 3G S. Your paying full price for it but there is no contract. You have to unlock the phone before you can play with it. There are different ways to unlock it. Otherwise it says emergency calls only, no sim card installed.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    But an active AT&T account is required to buy an iPhone. All iPhones purchased have to leave the store activated.

6. Ericatomars macrumors regular

not true, you can buy one without activating it, you just have to pay full price. I've known 2 people who have done so. I've also called the Apple store and they told me that this is correct. But they tell you in a way so you wont go and unlock it? Or ebay would be your best bet...

7. hierik thread starter macrumors member

And How will I get it to work if it isn't activated ? Just unlock it or ?

And what should I ask for when I enter either an apple store or a BestBuy ?
    Please be specific .

And I really appreciate your help guys :)

8. tilmonabbott macrumors regular

tilmonabbott

when i went to get my 3gs i told them i wanted to buy the 3gs without contract because i already had one with att and i wasn't in time frame to upgrade for better price. They sell you the phone with no contract and without activation. I'm not sure what would happen without activating it before you tried to unlock it but as ericatomars was saying, it might sit in the emergency screen, if it doesn't there wont be a problem with the sim card not being in

9. hierik thread starter macrumors member

So will I be able to go in- buy the iPhone for the full price. Go home and unlock it, and it will work like a charm ?

10. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

From what I hear, you must bypass the connect to iTunes screen and install Cydia. then download the ultra snow unlock from Cydia. So i think you will need to activate it first. You could borrow someone's iPhone 3G/3GS sim card and activate it that way.