How to buy displays cheap?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by piatti, Mar 11, 2012.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

It's been a while since we've used an external display. I want to change that and want to be able to compute nicely without neck pain. But the cheapest displays are about 80 dollars which is pretty expensive for a display in my opinion because some old 15 inch laptops are on craiglist for about $100. Could I buy the 15 inch laptop instead and then use it with an existing laptop for dual display somehow?

2. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

$80 is expensive for a display? :confused:

No you can't use an existing display on another laptop as a second screen.

3. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

+1.

$80 is VERY INEXPENSIVE for a display since others go for hundreds..

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

No :rolleyes:

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I wish I could buy displays with food stamps.

6. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Just curious - what would you think is a fair price for a display?

7. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

I thought it was relatively expensive because you can get a 15 display attached to a whole working computer.

But I suppose you can get external displays on craiglist for cheap too it seems a bit harder to find than a laptop though.

8. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Your example display is cheap because the laptop is outdated, broken, etc etc.

Besides. What is the point of getting a 15" external display if the laptop you are projecting is about the same size? The utility of such a small external display isn't really worth it to me. You might as well use spaces or something.

What you are paying for in monitors is quality of screen, speed, color rendition, resolution, looks, etc. having a second laptop screen essentially is making you work from two laptops simultaneously. You would be set back farther to work from two screens and thus working farther from 15" screens may make it more difficult to view. If cost is an issue I would just set up spaces and use it efficiently.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Probably can in a dark alley somewhere. Good luck. ;)

----------

I bought a new 24" Samsung at Wal-Mart last summer for about $260 and I thought that was a cheap price. $80 is a steal.

10. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

11. ruftytufty macrumors member

If you're in an area that has a used computer store (or a hole-in-the-wall PC store, these sometimes sell some used stuff) ...

I've seen these stores sell used LCD monitors for very low prices - e.g. $50 or less for a 17 or 19", $75 for a 21". These are typically lease returns that come in when a company upgrades a bunch of computers/monitors. Likely a few years old, a little clunky looking, but frequently quite decent. Better deal than you will find on craigslist. Just make sure you test it before you walk out the door.

E.g this year I saw a Dell 21" monitor in a shop for $75. I'd paid $800 for the same monitor, new, about 6 years ago.

12. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

13. Burro99 macrumors member

Displays go for a "steal" on craigslist all day.

14. namelessme macrumors member

If $80 for a display seems expensive to you, your options are either some super sale at Staples or something, for a generally low quality 20" LCD.

Or check out Craig's, FreeCycle, or the side of the curb for a CRT someone is throwing away. Sony and NEC CRTs can be rather nice, if in good condition. They are of course big and fat, and you may need a VGA adapter... but free < $80.

15. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

If you are looking for really cheap, put a wanted notice out for a CRT monitor. Their image quality is usually better than a cheap LCD, but they are bulky, so people don't want them.

You probably know several people with one taking up space and would be willing to give it away as they consider it junk, but it is not.

Your second laptop idea would take up space, so the bulky aspect is obviously not a problem.

16. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

@moonjumper

If they are bulky, do they use a lot of electricity as well?