Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobr68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Ok, so I'm thinking of buying an AW (probably series 1) on eBay....my concerns:
1) Difference in models: what's the difference between a sport and series 1 or are they the same thing? How can I differentiate the model on ebay..I think some people list the original as series 1....series 2 seems to be the easiest to differentiate.

2) Fakes: any way to spot a fake that I should be aware of?

Thanks!

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
1) Sport comes in all versions, Gen 1, Series 1 and Series 2. It has the aluminum body and IonX glass. You definitely DO have to be careful that the watch is propertly identified as Series 1 vs Gen 1, Gen 1 is the original. Series 2 would be the easiest to differentiate.

2) Fakes: Ebay has them. Hard to identify over the computer. If the price seems too good to be true, it almost certainly is. But a higher price is no guarantee.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
1) Difference in models: what's the difference between a sport and series 1 or are they the same thing? How can I differentiate the model on ebay..I think some people list the original as series 1....series 2 seems to be the easiest to differentiate.

Thanks!

1.) Series 1 is only made in aluminum. It offers an upgraded processor over the first generation Apple Watch. (Which both offer the same technical specifications.

https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-1/

2.) If you are concerned about a fake product or which model on eBay, then you can request the serial number from the seller and verify it with Apple. This will identify the model and insurance legitimacy. Look for lots of pictures, check seller for positive feedback and if you have questions, ask the seller and overall responsiveness. You can also request for additional photos as well.

Reactions: SDColorado

bobr68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
I'm leaning towards series one and save some money....some advertise sport some say series 1....wanted to know how to tell original from series 1 mostly.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm leaning towards series one and save some money....some advertise sport some say series 1....wanted to know how to tell original from series 1 mostly.

A photo of the back side will help. Series 1 and 2 both say Watch - Series 1 or 2 on the back around the sensors. A Gen 1 will only say Watch, with no series number while the Series 1 below is cleary identified.

Edit: Also the WR-IPX7 water resistance rating is unique to the Series 1 vs Gen 1

Reactions: 44267547

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
What is the "sport" version for series 1 label?

Just as you see above. Watch - Series 1 - Aluminum Case - Ion-X Glass - Composite Back

Edit: There is no stainless steel Series 1, so if it is Stainless, it is Gen1 or Series 2 and Series 2 would be clearly labeled on the back as such
[doublepost=1493052494][/doublepost]Here is what the Gen 1 / Series 0 sport looks like by comparison...

Last edited:

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Plus if they show the boxes and packins there are diff between Gen 1 7000 Sport vs the newer upgraded Series 1. (both aluminum)
1st Gen Sport - box is thicker, includes white plastic case, includes AC plug, 6 ft charger cable. Box says SPORT.
Series 1 - box is slimmer, no plastic case, no AC plug, 3 foot charger cable. Box is labeled SERIES 1.
Also, if you can get the serial # Apple will tell you the current lock status, warranty info, version details.
PS - a lot of ebay sellers are titling the 1st gen Watch as the SERIES 1. Not sure if ebay templates is doing this but many people do not know what the Series 1 really is.

Last edited:

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I would really avoid stock photos, look for real people who bought the watch (although this doesn't mean avoid BNIB)

I wouldn't be too scared, maybe I really lucked out, but I got a BNIB (even with an unopened Apple cardboard shipping box!) 38mm with Link Bracelet for $360 (Series 0)

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Also, ebay usually (I'd say 95% of time) favors the buyer, so even if seller says No returns, doesn't matter at all, ebay makes all decisions and will override seller.. and def will if there is a problem. ebay wants happy buyers more than happy sellers. Paypal and your CC offer protections too if ebay flakes. I've been using ebay since 1998. Over 1200 transactions, no unresolved problems, but you do have to be careful.

I'd avoid anyone without at least 20+ or more! feedback, avoid only stock images. Ask the seller A question! very helpful imo, just to get some commu going, see what else they are selling, see when they joined, avoid 0 feedback sellers, esp for Apple items... --good luck, but ebay is not for everybody.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Also, ebay usually (I'd say 95% of time) favors the buyer, so even if seller says No returns, doesn't matter at all, ebay makes all decisions and will override seller.. and def will if there is a problem. ebay wants happy buyers more than happy sellers. Paypal and your CC offer protections too if ebay flakes. I've been using ebay since 1998. Over 1200 transactions, no unresolved problems, but you do have to be careful.

I'd avoid anyone without at least 20+ or more! feedback, avoid only stock images. Ask the seller A question! very helpful imo, just to get some commu going, see what else they are selling, see when they joined, avoid 0 feedback sellers, esp for Apple items... --good luck, but ebay is not for everybody.

Excellent points. Furthermore, I also test the seller by asking questions and look for overall responsiveness, assistance and willingness to post additional pictures or answer any other questions not specified in the listing.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
thanks RP, It's a sterotype I guess, but most sellers under 30 feedbacks selling 'trendy' items like Apple Watches I stay away from. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Altho after Cmas, a lot of well-gifted kids were dumping their new Apple watches for quick cash. If you can get the serial # Apple will verify almost everything about the device or you can check warranty status online at Apple, but not the lock status (any more!). Apple removed the site for that.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012

Thanks!

i would buy from swappa or best buy or walmart if you want too play it safe

Reactions: SDColorado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.