how to buy verizon iphone 6 without account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kick53rv3, Sep 21, 2014.

1. kick53rv3 macrumors newbie

tried a few days to get an tmobile iphone 6 but did not have any luck, i know that verizon iphone 6 would work on tmobile but how do i go about purchasing it? do i need a verizon account? (especially if buying from bestbuy or costco or even apple store)

anyone purchased it from verizon want to share the experience?

am i missing any features if i buy the verizon version over the tmobile version?

2. eekcat macrumors 6502a

I think the only way is to go to the Apple Store and purchase the "device only."

You won't be missing any features if you get VZW and use it on another carrier. It's only the other way around (only the VZW is CDMA enabled).

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

best buy might sell it to you, but they charge $50 above retail. costco won't without a contract (and definitely won't if you don't already have an account). your best bet is apple, but it can't be done online. you'd have to go into a store that has stock readily available.

4. kick53rv3 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, i been monitoring the availability online and it seems verizon version had stock ready for pickup all day today while i been refreshing tmobile version and nothing shows up

as far as features im missing im mostly worried that voLTE and wifi calling, anyone in similar situation know if it works?

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I did it this way: reserved for pickup with a new vzw account, and then when I got to the store I asked if I could change it to a device only purchase and just pay the full amount.

It took a little while, because we activated the vzw line and then canceled it, so if you go in the middle of the day when they are super busy, they might not be willing to do it. I imagine once you can get a phone without having to worry about them being in stock, you'll be able to just do a device only purchase outright without that.

I have a 6+, as far as I know the vzw and t-mobile ones are the same phone.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You will not miss out on any features, there is no reason to expect you will.

I expect the reason TMO stock is depleted is becuase people do't realize the Verizon Version is unlocked and there were likely fewer TMO phones produced.

IMO, if paying full retail on the spot, The VZW phone is the only one to go with.

7. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

The only advantage of buying a Verizon iPhone Is to use the phone with Verizon's CDMA network. No other CDMA network will work. If one has no need for that, it really doesn't matter much. You will still need to get an updated SIM from your carrier (phone company) to access all the features of your phone, including NFC and Apple Pay.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

1. Options
    2. Resale value
    3. Higher resale audience (ties in to 2 a bit)

As a person who sells his phone every year, I see much value in this. Plus, ff I ever had the need/desire to hop on VZW, I wouldn't need to worry about buying a new phone.

9. Winona Northdakota, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

1. Option, not really options. Verizon CDMA would be that option, nothing else. Other than Verizon CDMA, a T-Mobile or AT&T iPhone 6 bought off contract will be identical.

10. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

so the tmobile iphone works on the verizon LTE sim?

11. Winona Northdakota, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

Verizon won't activate phones on their CDMA network not bought and pre-white listed for their CDMA network. You might have trouble making a phone call without access to Verizon's CDMA network. Maybe others can verify. From what I have read, Verizon has turned on VoLTE with the iPhone 6 and 6 plus. Markets may vary.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/20/verizon-voLTE/

12. wildonrio macrumors 6502

No. Only the Verizon one works with Verizon, period. But it also works with all other GSM carriers out of box. If you're paying full retail (and not on Sprint) then the Verizon version is undoubtedly the one to buy.

13. lordofthereef, Sep 21, 2014

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I explained why, FOR ME, that is a bonus. I have the option of going to verizon (including pay as you go, which would be the second, or plural, of the options, since that seems to matter to you) should I want to. Not happy with AT&T, TMO, or what have you? I can hop over to VZW having purchased the Verizon phone.

I didn't say that the Verizon phone is leaps and bounds ahead of the pack. I never stated it could do anything else that the other phones could do, aside from getting on Verizon's netwrok. I simply said, given the option, the Verizon phone is the one to get. It is. Same exact cost, but gives me one more (extremely huge network) provider to go with. Not sure why you are fighting me on this, but whatever lol.

14. Winona Northdakota, Sep 21, 2014

Yes, pay as you go is included, as it is a Verizon product. That said, you seem to be making a big deal out of being capable of using one extra network than the rest of us. It makes little sense to anyone outside of the U.S. or Verizon. If that makes you happy, all the more power to you.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Not making a big deal at all lol. Just saying that I thought verizon was the better option, if given the option, and you seem to want to keep pointing out that it's negligible. The person asking was a US resident anyway, based on wanting to buy it for TMO USA, so the point is moot.

Anyway, resale value matters to some people. You are reaching far more potential buyers with a VZW phone than any other phone.

FYI it will also work on cricket (but who cares about that lol).

This will be my last response to you since we are going around in circles. You don't think it's much of a benefit to get a VZW phone over an unlcoked GSM phone. Point noted. Thanks for your input.

16. Winona Northdakota, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

Cricket is now owned by AT&T (but who cares about that lol). AT&T will be transitioning Cricket off any existing CDMA. So, for that matter, any off contract GSM iPhone or AT&T contract phone will work on Cricket.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/migrate

17. Big Dawg 23 macrumors regular

I had Verizon tell me no line no phone no matter if pay full price. They claim people would buy them and transport them over seas. Apple or Best Buy is your only option.

18. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

That's no surprise, the verizon reps probably get quotas or rewards for selling lines, and they would probably get talked to for selling iphones without a line.