How to bypass Apple ID login in iOS 7

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bengal313, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Bengal313 macrumors newbie

Just bought a used Ipad 2 (Wifi Only) off CL. Thought I do a fresh install and update to IOS 7. During the after update setup I am prompted to enter a password for the original Apple account. I don't have that info. The full email address blocked out. (Ex ********@gmail.com). Tried contacting the seller but no response.

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You can't. That is activation lock that is how it is supposed to work. He seller has to either remove the device via iCloud.com or give you the info.

And no Apple can't remove it. Best you can hope is it was legit and the seller will reply.

3. mobutt macrumors 6502

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Nope. It won't. That loophole is closed, it'll ask again.

5. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

It looks liked you bought a stolen iPad... That's what I think. The seller not responding makes me think that.

6. Bengal313 thread starter macrumors newbie

You probably right. That sucks. Guess I am gonna have to wait for a jailbreak or hack of some sort.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Truth be told, I'd file a police report with all the info you have on the seller and so forth.

If it's stolen, there's someone out there it was stolen from. He or she may have filed a police report with the serial number or similar. IMHO the right thing to do is at least try that route.

8. Bengal313 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea but it would be difficult to find out which City. I don't have the time or resources. I wish Apple would have some sort of online registry for reported stolen devices.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Sorry, you'd said CraigsList so I thought it was reasonably local sale. Sorry if I misunderstood.

If it were me, I'd at least speak with my local police and see if they had a way to check serial number against a state or nat'l database.

Just my suggestion/opinion; do what you think is best.

10. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

How do I examine a used iPhone before purchasing to know if the Activation Lock is off and clear?

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Perform an Erase all Content and Settings under Settings->General->Reset

If Activation lock is enabled, it will ask for AppleID and password to turn it off before wiping/resetting the device. If the seller can't supply the info walk away.

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Not that hard actually. If the phone or iPad is activated and on the home screen, go to settings, iCloud. Is an account logged in. Then make the owner delete it before you buy.

Activation lock is triggered by the find my iPhone feature of iCloud. When you delete an iCloud account, the device and account are separated and there is no lock anymore. That is part of why you have to put in the password to remove the account.

No iCloud on device, no lock if you erase it.

----------

You'll have to look for a hack that removes contacting apples servers because that is where the info is. Which is why you can DFU all day and it won't help

13. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

lol.

The police aren't going to do anything for you.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

The point was to make the attempt to do the right thing instead of just assuming the worst.

Your advise is self-fulfilling. If you lost your ipad and the guy who ends up with it follows your advice to do nothing, guess what happens... :rolleyes:

I have had positive and productive experience both here in a major metro area and in a small city in years past. So even if the chances of a successful conclusion are small, better to try than not IMHO.