How to calibrate rMBP using Xrite i1 Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c-y-r-i-l, Oct 19, 2012.

1. c-y-r-i-l macrumors newbie

Hi, been trying to calibrate my rMBP (Samsung) using Xrite i1 display and would love feedbacks from advanced users, having hard times finding the right informations concerning retina display.

What Led setting should i use?
    What best white point option?
    What luminance is best?
    Gamma or sRVB?

Right now i would say the best result so far was made using the basic mode.
    The profile i made using advanced mode gave me yellowish results.

Do you know what works best for retina display?

2. snoylekim macrumors member

Use White LED ... The white point should be 6500 ..luminance is your choice , but typically 90 or 120 is used ..I use 120 for my profiles .. Gamma of 2.2 is the 'PC standard' , but you can use SRGB which attempts to provide a slightly sliding gamma depending on the % of luminosity .. I've used both and prefer 2.2 for my work ..

3. c-y-r-i-l thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot!

Will try it out.

Right now i have the setting you mentioned but i used "Native" as white balance. Pretty good actually!

4. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

I wouldn't use native as white point. But I also wouldn't use X-Rite's software. Check out BasicColor5 (you get a 14 day full function trial). Settings are similar to the X-Rite software (has L* too, which I prefer for every day use).

My profile is 100cd/m2. 6500, L*, and then just native on black level (that setting doesn't really matter, software tries to get the lowest point regardless).

My sRGB profile is similar just 80 cd/m2, and of course sRGB as opposed to L*.

If you are going to go with a 2.2 gamma (which is not a standard FYI, but the most common), I would suggest just use sRGB. sRGB is also 2.2 but the curve itself is different.

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I wouldn't use an i1 as it does not support LED backlighting correctly.

6. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Depends on which i1 he has. i1D2 does support it, but with software which I believe is only available on windows. The i1 Display Pro, i1 Pro, etc.... Do.

7. c-y-r-i-l thread starter macrumors newbie

8. c-y-r-i-l thread starter macrumors newbie

About the white point, should i mesure it first? I get pinkish results using 6500 K.

9. c-y-r-i-l thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually my fault, 6500 K seems better, a bit yellow but it could be because my screen had too much blue, eyes need to adjust..

10. c-y-r-i-l thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok did a few attemps, kept three profile (L, Gamma 2.2, sRGB), all of them have the same luminance and white pointes, Gamma and sRGB looks more contrasted than L, how do you decide which one you use? L for printing, Gamma and sRGB for online work?

11. snoylekim macrumors member

I use sRGB for my work, which is hobbyist photography .. this is the color 'standard' for most online , although a lot of displays don't come close to the full gamut for this ..If you use a color managed application , and your display is calibrated , it won't make too much difference. Different story if you're in the high gamut world ( publishing or print work) ..Calibrating for print is a two step process ..you should have an accurate calibrated display, plus the printer should have a profile you can attach to output so it will handle correctly .. Labs and Publishing will typically provide a profile .. I am trying out L* right now..Others might feel differently, but, as long as you have tight delta Es , use what's most comfortable for you for day to day or Online work ..

12. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Yeah I feel gamma is subjective. I mean when I calibrate TV's, most are done at 2.3-2.35. Even though you will have the misinformed argue with you about 2.2.

Did you try BasicColor5? It really is soo much better than the stock software from X-Rite. And since you are becoming with which settings to use, it should be a breaze for you.

13. snoylekim macrumors member

Yes , I have tried it ..it's a keeper !! Thanks for the steer .. Looks like it'll be what I use ..want to try their windows version for my Dell U2410 attached to 'the workhouse' ( I7-3770 processor 16M memory HD 7970 graphics ).. there are just some things not for a MBP Retina :) I'm going to play a little more this weekend and generate an SRGB, 2.2 and a L profile.. Might share these on the other post with the YMMV disclaimer ..

14. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Then you are all set. I'm so used to i1 referring to the D2.

15. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

For windows, check out CalPC. Freaking awesome, but I don't think they have a fully fuctional trial.