How to cancel Sprint with NO TERMINATION FEE

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by billchase2, Jul 2, 2007.

1. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

I successfully did it! I got out of my contract with Sprint with NO TERMINATION FEE. The reasoning is a new roaming rate change. All the info is on this website:

http://consumerist.com/consumer/top...ation-fee-over-roaming-rate-change-267570.php

The guy didn't even know about the part of the Terms and Conditions I mentioned and had to put me on hold to read it. When he came back, he offered me free roaming and I declined. I then had him make a note on my account so when I port my number over, they see the note to get rid of the termination fee and do so. The only bill I will be receiving is any additional usage after my last bill.

I'm quite happy right now. :D

By the way... here is the part of the Terms and Conditions that did it for me:

"Our Right To Change The Agreement & Your Related Rights
    We may change any part of the Agreement at any time including, but not limited to, rates, charges, how we calculate charges, or your terms of Service. We will provide you notice of changes that may impact you in a manner consistent with this Agreement (see "Providing Notice Under This Agreement" paragraph). Except as provided below, if a change we make to the Agreement is material and has a material adverse affect on you, you may terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee only if you: (a) call us within 30 days after the effective date of the change; and (b) specifically advise us that you wish to cancel Services because of a material change to the Agreement that we have made. If you do not cancel Service within 30 days of the change, an Early Termination Fee will apply if you terminate Services before the end of any applicable Term Commitment."

2. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Man that would have saved me $200, but I had roaming on my account anyway.

It was a nice 7 yrs Sprint. By monthly bill more then doubled (for less minutes and texts) but oh well. I actually like the iPhone, never really liked any other phone, so I suppose that's what counts, right?

3. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Says Aug 1; If I cancelled last week coulld I call them on this so I don't pay the fee you think? I asked about any changes to rates which nullified the contract when cancelling and the rep said there hadn't been anything...

4. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

I kind of doubt it will work... but it's always worth a shot. The worst they can say is no.

The rep I talked to didn't even know about the clause I referenced and had to look it up. Even if they did know about it, I doubt they'd say anything to you.

5. iPhonatic macrumors member

6. buymeaniphone macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

Will this work with Tmobile too? My iPhone is still sitting in its box cause I can't get Tmobile to let me out of my family plan.

7. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

A quick update:

For some reason, the other day I got a bill in the mail from Sprint for over $160, saying that I had to pay the termination fee. This is weird because I was told I would have had to pay the $200 fee and not the $150 fee... and also because I thought I had gotten it worked out to not have to pay it at all.

When calling them back (and first being on hold for a good 20 minutes before speaking to a representative... yeah, not gonna miss that), the guy was actually very helpful. He saw the note on my account and zeroed my balance.

I'm now good to go. :)