How to cancel the data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by naked, Feb 6, 2009.

1. naked macrumors member

I got my iPhone in December, and was told by a local ATT store rep that I would be able to cancel the data plan if I wanted to later on.

I called today to do so as I'm trying to save some extra money and I have wifi 95% of the time, but I was told it is "against policy", and that the iPhone will no longer work without a data plan, not even wireless.

I've poked around on the net and it seems this is not true. On my Treo 680 I had WIX blocking so we didn't accidentally use the data.

I'm pretty furious as I don't like being forced to pay for something, especially when I don't use it.

Anyone had similar experiences? Anything I can do? I asked to speak with a manager when I phoned in, and was hung up on... which just adds to my frustration.

2. davyreins macrumors 6502

You hear some rare cases of people being able to cancel the data plan. Seems like if you complain enough, you can usually get what you want. But, most likely you are out of luck.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It was disclosed at the time of purchase that 3G data plan is required...so you are furious about what? Unlock it and go T-Mobile.

4. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

This has been posted extensively in the forums before. Since the data plan subsidizes the cost, making it only $200, you can't cancel the data plan. If you don't want the data, then you need to pay full cost for the phone $500+. Since the first iPhone wasn't subsidized, you could cancel the data plan for it, and AT&T makes this determination when you call. Even if you complain they won't do it. There have been some who got some ignorant CSR from AT&T who accidentally did it, but they later caught them (AT&T supposedly does checks now).

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

It is very easy but you can't have your iPhone 3G active when you call Customer Care! :(

Put your SIM in your Treo 680 and give it about 15 minutes and then call Customer Care and tell them you are now using your Trieo 680 on this line and you want to remove the data plan and adjust any other features that you want that are supported by the Treo 680. They will ask for the IMEI of your Treo to update your account. Also make sure that they put a WIXBlock on your line.

Once this is complete wait about 15 minutes and then check your account online to confirm your line is setup the way you requested. Now just put your SIM back in your iPhone 3G and you will be all set.

Please note that you will loose Visual Voicemail as it is provisioned as part fo the data plan. Everything else will work including WiFi.

Dave

6. richg916 macrumors regular

Did it today for my son's 3G Phone since he rarely used data other than wi-fi. I called and the customer service rep asked if I had another IMEI and did it within a few minutes. I did have to call back to have voicemail reset since it was going from Iphone to "regular" phone (then back to Iphone) but it was painless.

7. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

They may add the data plan to your bill when they find out you are still using the iPhone.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

There has not been a single case of this "actually" happening.

The issue that AT&T is active about sending warnings to is for individuals that are on an invalid plan for an iPhone. They don't want you getting by with the $15 or $20 data plans when they can get $30 from you.

Dave

9. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

1. The iPhone will work fine without a dataplan. Anybody who says otherwise is full of crap.
    2. ATT is not adding dataplans to users without them (although they reserve the right to if you signed your contract after May 2008).
    3. If you try to use a MediaNet/iPhone 2g/pda plan with a 3g, they will send you emails/texts until you add the right plan (but they are just warnings, they wont actually do anything).

To remove the dataplan, like somebody said above, you need to put your sim in another phone and tell ATT you lost your phone or some excuse like that. Then they will remove the dataplan. Have them put a full data block on your line at this time too, unless you want to jailbreak and use BossPrefs to block data on the iPhone.

Then, pop the sim back in your iPhone and enjoy not paying outrages fees for somebody you rarely if ever use.

10. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

Yeah I took off the data plan of old 2g iPhone over a year ago. I upgraded to the 3G last month and thought the data plan would be added back on. But I just got my new bill yesterday and there still isn't any data plan on it.

11. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

What happens when you update your phone through itunes? Will it brick the phone, or does iTunes "see" the iPhone as an iPod Touch?

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

Nothing happens when you sync with iTunes since you are not Unlocking or Jailbreaking the phone. You are just removing the iPhone 3G data plan. It is still a functioning phone.

Please note that you will not have access to Visual Voicemail since it requires the iPhone data plan.

Dave

13. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

You should have seriously considered that before signing a legally binding two-year contract obligating yourself to do so...

I'm furious that the government won't let me cancel my car insurance. I'm a fine driver and don't need it.:rolleyes:

14. memyselfnimac macrumors newbie

Hi, I was wondering if I decide to cancel my service with at&t after the first 30 days, will I still be able to update the iphone and use wifi? And also will I only be able to download apps before I cancel service? Sorry, if I asked any dumb questions as I am new to all this. :eek: Thanks.

15. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Within 30 days you have to return the phone, they are not stupid.

16. daflake macrumors 6502a

It amazes me how many people will lie and cheat themselves out of a contract that they agreed too. :rolleyes:

17. memyselfnimac macrumors newbie

Well I'm probably not going to go with that method since I don't think I could do it. My bad for even posting that. I feel stupid. But, I'm still curious about cancellation after the 30 days.

18. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

After 30 days you are free to cancel and pay the ETF and the iPhone is yours to keep.

19. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes you will be able to update the iPhone 3G via iTunes and you will also be able to use Wifi and continue to use the Apple App Store. Just keep your AT&T SIM in case you need it later if you have an upgrade problem. You will need an AT&T SIM to recover from some issues as your phone is still "Locked" to AT&T.

You could always Unlock and or Jailbreak your iPhone 3G.

To cancel after 30 days of service you just need to pay the ETF, which starts at $175 and drops by $5 for every month of service (starting after the first 30 days).

Dave

20. memyselfnimac macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the helpful information, Dave!

21. shvartsies macrumors regular

I have a pretty funny story. My mom called to upgrade my texting plan (I went over by 243 hehe) and the customer service rep. that my mom spoke to was so appaled by my texting behavior and felt so bad for my mom that she actually canceled my 3g and edge service. She didn't even ask my mom if it was allright haha!

So basically I thought that my phone was malfunctioning, since it wasn't picking up 3g or edge anywhere, and completely restored and re-jailbroke and re-synced my phone. For no reason.

I went on my AT&T account online and easy as pie upgraded to the data plan for iPhone

Cliffnotes: It is possible to disable the 3g service, just tell a customer service rep. your the mother of the phone's owner and he went over on texts (no im not serious)
    :)

22. memyselfnimac macrumors newbie

Oh, one more thing. Would I have to ask to put a WIXBlock so they don't charge me if they detect that I'm using the iphone after cancellation? Or is that only for methods posted earlier?

23. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes a WIXBlock as I posted earlier would prevent any data activity from any phone you put your SIM into.

Dave