How to cancel the iOS update badge in the Setting app??

geta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Since the release of iOS11 i didnt get this badge on the Settings, now suddenly it appeared and i cant find a way to erase it... on top of that, somehow it also downloaded the update to my phone automatically (all the auto download are off), this i manage to erase, but cant find a way to erase the annoying badge on the Settings app.

tkukoc

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Wish I Was In Space!
Go into Settings, General, iPhone Storage (this takes a little bit to populate all files) the downloaded file will show up in your list below iCloud Photo Library. Should say something like IOS 11 and probably be around 3gb or so, it should have an arrow going to the right. Just tap that and there will be a delete button... goodbye installer file. ;)

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
Delete the installer or whatever Apple may call to that chunk, and install tvOS profile to sorta prevent Apple from pushing real iOS update to your device, for a year.

geta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Go into Settings, General, iPhone Storage (this takes a little bit to populate all files) the downloaded file will show up in your list below iCloud Photo Library. Should say something like IOS 11 and probably be around 3gb or so, it should have an arrow going to the right. Just tap that and there will be a delete button... goodbye installer file. ;)
If you're talking about Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage, i erased the downloaded file from there, but im still having the badge on General > Software Update... and when im closing the Settings app im still having the badge on that icon.

I really dont understand why i need to make circles around this issue by installing tvOS on my iPhone...

I just live with the badge notification on my SE. Although the notification on my Mini 4 is not there anymore(though it still shows when I go into the settings app).

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/08/18/how-to-stop-iphone-asking-to-install-ios-updates/
Till today it was the same as your Mini 4, but somehow something change and now im stuck with that badge...

tkukoc

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Wish I Was In Space!
If you're talking about Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage, i erased the downloaded file from there, but im still having the badge on General > Software Update... and when im closing the Settings app im still having the badge on that icon.

I really dont understand why i need to make circles around this issue by installing tvOS on my iPhone...

Till today it was the same as your Mini 4, but somehow something change and now im stuck with that badge...
Yikes! Then I'm not sure why you would still be seeing that then. As long as you deleted the original file and aren't going to the about/update section it shouldn't hound you.

geta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Yikes! Then I'm not sure why you would still be seeing that then. As long as you deleted the original file and aren't going to the about/update section it shouldn't hound you.
I dont know what you mean by saying "deleted the original file", unless there is other place to do so, im quite sure i erased that file.

The only other option i can try is to download it again, but when im in general > Software Update it says 'Download and Install' and i dont want to install it.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm sure it will pop up again on my Mini 4. But I'm just not ready to update either my SE or Mini 4 to iOS 11 yet (maybe once 11.1 drops).

Reactions: geta and Kristi2

Isamilis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
I have deleted the installer file. Also installed TVOS profile. Rebooting as well. But the badge is still there, even when I checked the update it has said 10.3.3 is the latest version. This happened on my 6s and SE.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have deleted the installer file. Also installed TVOS profile. Rebooting as well. But the badge is still there, even when I checked the update it has said 10.3.3 is the latest version. This happened on my 6s and SE.
How along ago did you do this (basically how long has the badge still remained on the Settings app icon after you did all that)?

geta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
The Moon
That what worked in my case - deleting the installer from 'Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage', then i rebooted the phone and the badge disappeared. I never tried the tvOS profile method, but maybe its connected to that...

JM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2014
That what worked in my case - deleting the installer from 'Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage', then i rebooted the phone and the badge disappeared. I never tried the tvOS profile method, but maybe its connected to that...
I don't have a tvOS profile, and have to delete the downloaded update every week or two. Just delete the download again the next time it downloads, and the badge should stay away.

(Sorry I don't know exactly why my badge is gone after I delete the update... It may be triggered by the deletion.)

Isamilis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
I did this about 2 weeks ago, and the badge is still remain there. I tried to uninstall the tvOS profile and let the download finished then delete the file and see whether it still remain. Hopefully this worked.

How along ago did you do this (basically how long has the badge still remained on the Settings app icon after you did all that)?