Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfatula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Calera, OK
Seems like this should be simple, and maybe it is. But, I have a device hooked up to a Mac with a TOSLINK cable. On the Mac, I want to be able to capture the AC3 audio coming in and record to a file. How can I do this? All the recording software I find such as Audio Hijack do not do AC3.

RedRedBlockhead

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
Are you sure the digital in is even capable of 5.1 input? I see no option for encoded input under audio midi setup. That said I've recorded stereo digital audio from my xbox using a cable into it, and I'm fairly sure my xbox was outputting DD.

sfatula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Calera, OK
No, I am not positive. But, I have a sat receiver hooked up via TOSLINK and I can record down-mixed sound from it just fine. To downmix it, the Mac has to understand the input, so, apparently it does.

I just need something to record the raw audio coming in, I don't need any processing or anything else. Even if I have to buy hardware, but, somehow, I think it is possible.

sfatula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Calera, OK
I am sure now. I can use Audio Hijack to hijack digital in.

So, AC3 source -> TOSLINK INPUT of Mac -> TOSLINK output of Mac -? A/V receiver DOES play DD.

But, alas, Audio Hijack cannot capture the audio into a suitable container, such as AC3.

So, what tool will allow me to do this? Clearly, this proves it is possible.

phr3ak

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
I am sure now. I can use Audio Hijack to hijack digital in.

So, AC3 source -> TOSLINK INPUT of Mac -> TOSLINK output of Mac -? A/V receiver DOES play DD.

But, alas, Audio Hijack cannot capture the audio into a suitable container, such as AC3.

So, what tool will allow me to do this? Clearly, this proves it is possible.

8 years, and i haven't found an answer yet, VLC should be able to process a52 streams, but cant even record PCM correctly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.