HOW TO: Capture HD Video on EyeTV 250 Plus?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Khryz, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I just bought an EyeTV 250 Plus, and I was wondering if there is any way I can capture HD 720p and HD 1080i video on my MacBook?

I ask because when you record a file and export it, it gives you the option to export the recording in HDV 720p or HDV 1080i .. doesn't this mean that you should be able to record in HD?

This unit doesn't come with Component outlets, it only lets you plug on the Red, White, and Yellow Composite cables and an S-Video cable, but you need either an HDMI port or an Component to capture 720p or 1080i, correct?

Am I missing something here or can you not record in HD? If not, then what's the point of those HD export settings?

THANKS

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Why do the plugs on the unit matter? It still will allow you to record HD signals onto your Macbook. The Macbook isn't really capable of displaying all pixels of a 1080p video but you most certainly can record them onto your hard drive from your EyeTV. Have you been unable to view HD signals?

3. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

HL Thanks for the reply!

I know that this capture unit can get HD signals from television, but I was mostly speaking about being able to record HD-quality video from my PS3 or Xbox 360 gaming systems (sorry I forgot to specify that). I have a TV that can go up to 1080p, but this unit could only use 720p and 1080i I believe, so I would just drop the HD display down to those.

However, to achieve 720p or 1080i from my PS3 or Xbox 360 on my HDTV I need to plug in not only the usual Audio/Video Composite cables (red, yellow, and white), but also 3 Component cables (green, red, blue) that somehow give you the HD quality. My EyeTV unit only came with the hardware to hook up only the Composite cables, or an S-Video cable - meaning I can't receive anything in 720p or 1080i onto my computer without something else that can use the red, green, and blue Component cables.

I'm sorry if I'm not making any sense. I don't want to record HD television, I want to record HD video from my TV.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I understand what you want to do now, I have the new Hybrid model and it has the same composite plugs your 250 Plus has. Yeah they only receive HD signals off the air and cable but not transfer HD between devices like a PS3 to EyeTV. I was actually surprised they did as much as they did, I didn't expect them to have composite cables allowing the transferring from your camcorder or vcr and the ability to play your console games through them, I only expected TV tuning only.

So for the little that they cost we can't expect more than that however I'll bet there will be an new model in the future offering the transferring of HD content for HD camcorders.

5. Kvitrypa macrumors newbie

No HD on 250 Plus!

Hi all!

The 250 Plus only supports composite input, so no HD is possible!
    The only devices that can record HD from your game-console, that I know of, is Hauppauge HD PVR ( http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html ) and Slingbox Pro HD ( http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox-prohd ).
    I have bought the Hauppage myself, and its perfect!
    I use it with the Elgato EyeTV software, that in a recent update got added support for this device. So you CAN record wonderful HD up to 1080i on your mac with Hauppauge HD PVR.
    With the Slingbox however, the software only supports 720p for the time beeing. But it will be added 1080-support in future updates.
    Both of these devices can be used as video loop-through... so you can play games on your TV with no lag, and at the same time record on your mac!

Good luck:D