How to care for new iPhone battery

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by orvn, Dec 29, 2011.

1. orvn macrumors 6502

I purchased a new battery for my iPhone 4.
    Going to replace it tomorrow.

Before I do however, I'd like to know how to charge it the first time.
    Should I:
    Install it, turn on device, let the battery die fully, then recharge it fully and let it die again?

Or perhaps I should install it, charge it fully, let it die entirely and charge it up again?

Or something else? Does it even matter?

2. Senex macrumors member

Lithiums are pretty forgiving, but for the first cycle, I'd recommend charging fully, discharging to <5%, then charging fully once again. After that, you're good to go.

Keep in mind, lithium-ion batteries last the longest when they're topped off as much as possible and only occasionally cycled down to <20%.

3. orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Interesting,
    So basically, if my battery life wobbles between 50-100% its entire lifetime (not once dropping below 50%), it'll likely have a greater overall lifespan?

4. Senex macrumors member

The old nickel rechargeable batteries were susceptible to battery "memory" ...that is, if they were never fully cycled, they would develop an internal "film" which prevented efficient exchange of electrons within the cells. This is not the case with lithium batteries, and with proper care, you can get a lithium cell to last a *very* long time. Rechargeable batteries have a finite number of charge/discharge cycles before they start ramping off in efficiency. Keep full-drain use to a minimum and you'll prolong its life.

5. orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Senex.

You've not only answered my question but provided me with the rudimentary terminology and general direction to educate myself a little further on the topic.

Appreciated!

6. Direwolfe macrumors newbie

Battery app

Boost magic or similar app.
    For a buck, or free, you can't go wrong.

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I would never spend money for a battery app. Worst idea ever. Google is your friend for any and all information concerning battery technology, and if you're looking to doctor your iPhone's battery, you'll learn how to really quickly through Google or Apple's website. Anything else is pointless in my opinion.

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

bad advice. Battery apps are a sham. Google is your friend. I believe there's a whole forum out there with tons of info JUST on batteries.

9. FilthyRomanian macrumors newbie

i hear differently..

i heard you're supposed to drain the battery to about 5% when first in use.. then completely charge it and then repeat. this one told to me by someone at the mac store... so either he was making a fool of me or i shouldnt have listened to a fool at the apple store.:apple: