How to care for system with SSD boot drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Richie3000, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Richie3000 macrumors member

About to swap my boot drive for an SSD and after reading various article on SSD life expectancies I'm curious...

How should one care for a system running on SSD? Better to put it to sleep, or shut off entirely? Should I allow it to "fall asleep" sooner or later?

I've heard that you're not supposed to defrag an SSD, but I'm wondering what else you're supposed to do/not do to maintain a healthy SSD system.

Thanks!

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Do not taunt, or yell at your SSD. Do not set on fire, douse with fire extinguishers or water. Do not act weird around your SSD. Do not bring pets near SSDs. this may result in undesirable operation of your SSD. Lastly enjoy your SSD but try to not lick it. This may result in electrocution or revulsion to plasticky taste. Now go enjoy your computer. as long as it has built in garbage collection it is fine.

3. jbjones85 macrumors member

Haha, all true. I would just install and use. Most SSD's offer a 3 or 5 year warranty and if they have built in GC you souldn't need to do anything to it other than use it.