How to centralize bookmarks from different browsers and possibly machines as well?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Jun 4, 2011.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

Hello. I used to use only Safari but for the past few months, I keep getting the fireball problem. Safari often hangs for no reason. Even I try to use Firefox which has been performing very well without any problem, I sometimes use Safari unconsciously. In both browsers, I have bookmarks folders. Some of them are of the same or similar names under both Safari and Firebox.

1. Is there a way to centralize the bookmarks so that the two browsers use the same bookmark list?

2. Can I centralize the bookmarks from different machines? One example is to centralize the bookmarks in both my Mac and Windows 7 partitions. Another example is to centralize the bookmarks between my laptop and the desktop.

3. Is it possible to have subfolders? My bookmarks would be more organized.

Any good way to handle my messy situation appreciated. Thanks.

2. Jest3r macrumors regular

Try Xmarks... Works out well for me.

3. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Using Chrome you can sync the bookmarks between any computers that are using Chrome and on which you're logged in. However, it doesn't sync with other browsers.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for the info. On the website, there is a count on the number of bookmarks backed up & synchronized. Does that mean the developer is using the software to gather users' information? If so, I wonder what other information are being gathered without the user's knowing.