How to change 120 second shutdown / restart

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blackscooby, May 17, 2007.

1. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Hi,

I'm sure this has been posted before, I just haven't found it !

How can I change the 2 min shutdown to a lower value, ie 15 or 30 seconds or something.
    When I turn off the Mini I power off my bluetooth mouse and Keyb and walk away.

I might be a little pedantic, but I'd like to reduce this timeout period to something lower.

Ta muchly,

Mark

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm... I'm confused. There's a two minute shutdown dwell if you don't click on the button, to give you time to change your mind. There might be a way to change that, but....

Why don't you click the shut down button in the dialog (which makes it shut down instantly) and *then* turn off the kb and mouse?

Otherwise, there are two suggestions here:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=37204

3. blackscooby thread starter macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Cos I've normally turned off my BT keyboard and mouse !
    More of a query than a necessity to be honest

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Don't shut down, put your mac to sleep!

Uses very little power, and you wake up instantly. If you can't stand waiting 120 seconds to shut down, why would you want to wait to log in?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did you follow the link I posted? :confused:

6. Queso macrumors G4

You can do this in the Terminal, which means you could script ti.

shutdown -r 15

would give a 15 second wait before rebooting.

7. blackscooby thread starter macrumors 6502

blackscooby

I'm not asking how to get rid, just change the t/o value.

8. pilavdzic macrumors newbie

Comments like this irritate the hell out of me. For example, I found this thread because I am using a mac mini in-car. Leaving the mini on drains my battery, so its not an option for me, but even if I was using it in-house, why put it to sleep?

Does your mini take such a long time to boot you can't wait the extra few seconds to turn it on? You must not use your computer much, because I have never had a machine not need to be restarted periodically.

True, its not a PC needing to be restarted 2-3 times a day, but have you ever used your mac for a month without restarting? I bet not, think carefully - because software updates and a whole host of other things require it. So trying to 'not restart' your computer is a futile, juvenile idea that shows you have no experience with computers whatsoever and are contributing nothing to the discussion for people that are actually trying to accomplish something.

Now, on to the issue... my mac mini has an option in system preferences 'let computer sleep when power button pushed' or something like that. When I turn this option off, instead of getting the dialog you guys mention here, my power button on the mini does nothing!

The people who designed this 'feature' at apple are retarded. Enough said.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Sorry if I irritated you, but do you actually know for a fact that a sleeping mini drains your car battery? A sleeping computer consumes very little power. I can leave my macbook asleep, unplugged, for days, with no noticeable impact on battery life. Since a car battery is much larger than a laptop battery, I seriously doubt the sleeping mini would drain your battery, even if you didn't use your car for weeks at a time.

I don't have a mini, but my iBook just now took 34 seconds to shut down and 90 seconds to start up and log in. That's actually more than the 120 seconds the original poster complains about.

Of course I occasionally have to restart my computer. Since it takes over two minutes for the full process, I prefer to do it as infrequently as possible. In fact the only time I ever do is when installing updates that require restarts.

Can't really help you there. Don't use that feature.

UPDATE: Just tried restarting my 17-inch iMac core duo, and that took 1:02 to shut down and 1:07 to start up. Again, longer than the 120 second delay that annoys the OP.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I find this thread strange. Cant you shutdown then turn off your peripherals?

Instead of turning off stuff you need to help you turn off your mac? :confused:

You can press control (bottom left one) + Eject then hit return to shutdown. Takes 2 seconds max. Literally. Then while its shutting down turn off your mouse etc.