How to change a logic board on a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mitridig, Sep 20, 2011.

1. mitridig macrumors newbie

Hello guys,
    i am thinking of buying a defective MBP, with a defective Logic Board, at first and after that i am thinking of buying a replacement Logic Board and just change it. How possible and easy is that?
    Will the new-installed Logic Board work from scratch? Or do i have to bear in mind something else, i'm missing here?

Thanks for the help.

Dimitris
    Athens, Greece

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It is not difficult if you have worked with sensitive electronics before; but you won't be saving any money.

3. mitridig thread starter macrumors newbie

why r u saying that?
    let's say, i buy a mbp for 200 bucks or so, and 150 for a logic board. A working used MBP won't be sold for less than 600 bucks. Don't u think?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I would be astounded if you could find a Macbook Pro logic board made in the past 5 years selling for $150. It doesn't sound like you know what you're doing; you should probably just not bother.

5. mitridig thread starter macrumors newbie

one, or another, do i have to know anything, after exchanging the bad logic board with the fresh one?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Make sure you buy the correct replacement logic board: I'm pretty certain the boards from different generations are not directly interchangable in all cases.

7. mitridig thread starter macrumors newbie

i'll keep that in mind.
    Except that, after installing the new board, do i have to do something else?
    Some resetting or anything else?

Thanx again mates

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't think so, although I've never done it myself. It's not like Macs have a BIOS to worry about. EFI tends to sort itself out.

It might be worth resting the parameter RAM (Command-Option-P-R during startup). Note you will not be able to do this (or in fact boot the machine at all) if it has a Firmware Password set. So try and ensure any logic board you buy does not have one set. I have seen suggestions that you can remove such a password by shutting the machine down, altering the amount of RAM then booting with the reset PRAM key-combo above held down till you hear the startup sound twice...

9. mitridig thread starter macrumors newbie

i c thanx

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Don't expect to find a working logicboard for less than $400, and even then, not too many people sell off a working logic board, they sell the computer as a whole.

You won't be saving any money. At all.

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you buy a used logic board, you'll have the other computer's serial number stored in it, which comes up when you go to System Info. If you get a new board, you'll want to find a copy of the tool Apple uses to set that. Of course, as noted, you're not really going to find any good deals, it's probably cheaper to have Apple replace it for you.

jW