How to Change Account and "Home" Name

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lugesm, Jan 16, 2009.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I'm sure this is probably a dumb question, but I hope someone will be kind enough to help me. :eek:

After setting up my iMac and installing Leopard, I set up my wife's MacMini in exactly the same way. Unfortunately, I used my own name during setup . . . not her name.

Now, whenever anything involving her computers' Home folder shows up, it has my name on it.

Is there any way to change this without completely re-installing OSX?

Thanks.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Couldn't you make a secondary account under her name and give it admin privileges? Then delete the other account?

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

When I gave my wife my old whitebook I made an account w/ her name (full admin access)and deleted my account because of this. She wanted it to say her name and this was the only way I could do it w/o re-installing OSX.

EDIT: I see others have the same idea, it does work.

4. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies. I was able to change the Admin name to hers, but am still puzzled about changing the "HOME" folder name from my name to hers.
    It seems that OSX establishes that name, and the user has no control. I saw the "change short name" item and downloaded it, but I am a little reluctant to implement anything that burrows into the bowels of OSX to make a change. Am I being too timid?

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I would do what I suggested and the others say, it's safe and easy. I agree with you on the "change short name".