Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgoody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Hello,
Here is the situation:

I need to be able to work from home on a laptop provided to me by my company. I can no longer use my macbook and Parallels to switch between operation systems. But, I need to be able to connect through my WiFi through my Airport network, but I cannot figure out my password.

I cannot share a connection between computers because my company laptop is also encrypted and will only allow me access to our company LAN if it is a secured connection.

I am not computer savvy and this probably made no sense, but if anyone can help please let me know. I was told this should be very easy...no so much.

Thanks!
Jenny

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
To recover the wireless network password on a Mac, you need to open up Keychain Access. Find the password item in the login keychain that has the name of your wireless network. Either double click or click on the 'i' symbol for info to bring up another window. The two tabs should say Attributes and Access Controls. Last field in Attributes will be a checkmark followed by the words "Show password." Click the checkmark to enable it, then fill in the administrator password for the computer. The passphrase should now be shown. An alternate method for retrieving the passphrase or trying a hex key instead is documented here. Hex key sometimes works better when connecting a Windows-based computer to an Apple AirPort network.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
You can reset your wireless router and it'll go back to the default password, then just check the router manual for re-setting up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.