How to change Airport Express network NAME . . Please help.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lugesm, Aug 16, 2008.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Just installed my very first wireless network: Airport Extreme. NOT AIRPORT EXPRESS

Stumbled through the installation, and everything works.

However, in the process the software apparently selected a network name for me; and I would very much like to change that network name. I have crawled through the Network Preferences under System Preferences, but I can't find a way to do this.

Can someone please help? Thanks.

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Just open, AirPort Utility, and set the network up again. That's the only way to change the name of the network.

Don

3. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thank you, Don.

BTW, I installed the utility on the CD that came with Airport Extreme on my Mac from which I set up the Airport Extreme, but I did not install that utility on the CD on my other Macs.

Should I have used it on all my computers?

Thanks.
    L

4. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

You only really need the utility on one computer.. however I think the Airport Utility comes standard with Tiger/Leopard installs.. so you may just have to do a software update and have it on the other computers.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You dont have to re-do the entire setup. Just open Airport Utility, and choose manual setup, and then change the name.

6. quackenbush macrumors newbie

i tried that

I was also trying to change the name of my wireless network. I went into airport utility and reset up the network, as someone here suggested. I now have a network with the new name, but the old name also makes the internet accessible. Does anyone know how I get rid of the old one?

7. djr7572 macrumors regular

Good advice - I needed to do the same thing.

Thanks

8. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Thank you. Didn't really want to redo my setup.