Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbmnk

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
I have brought my iPhone 3 back from Japan and want to use it with a homeland carrier. It is presently locked to the Softbank carrier SIM card, I believe.
What do I have to do in order to change the SIM card to another and be able to use the phone?

Zermelo

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
I have brought my iPhone 3 back from Japan and want to use it with a homeland carrier. It is presently locked to the Softbank carrier SIM card, I believe.
What do I have to do in order to change the SIM card to another and be able to use the phone?

You obviously have to unlock it. First check what FW you have. If it's 4.1 or less then you can jailbreak it without problems. After that you have to unlock it. Go to Settings -> General -> About -> and look at your modem firmware. If it's 05.13.04 or less, you can currently unlock it with ultrasn0w from cydia which will appear on your screen after you jailbreak it.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
I'm not sure if it's the same in Japan, but here in the UK you can contact your provider and have them unlock your phone officially (through Apple/iTunes). You will have to continue paying the remainder of your contract.

dbmnk

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
So you're are saying I will have to jailbreak it, and then be lucky with the modem firmware?

The iOS is version 4.2.1. Is it at present possible to jailbreak it and do what I want, or do I have to wait for something?

I read on Dev-Team Blog that it should be possible to jailbreak 4.2.1 at present, but maybe I am missing something (it's an iP3).

What is the difference on redsn0w and ultrasn0w?

Softbank doesn't do unlock - even though you've paid the phone in full - cheeky bstrds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.